[Iptel] RE: [Sipping] New draft on end system communication services

"Gunnar Hellstrom" <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Fri, 18 February 2005 16:58 UTC

From: Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: Xiaotao Wu <xiaotaow@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:12:31 +0100
Cc: iptel@ietf.org, Toip list <toip@snowshore.com>, sipping@ietf.org, "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: [Iptel] RE: [Sipping] New draft on end system communication services
Sender: iptel-bounces@ietf.org

Xiaotao,

The main text medium I think about is the real time conversational text medium defined in
rfc2793 and rfc2793bis.
It is declared as any other real time medium in sdp with m=text

The flow is real time interactive, character by character or in 300 ms time chunks.
Transmission is by RTP with reliability created by RFC 2198 redundancy.

It correspponds to audio and video in real time user experience and is needed to maintain
a good result of a text conversation.

We have discussed to use MSRP in the SIMPLE group for this purpose, but found it too heavy
for real time use. MSRP is for messaging during sessions. rfc2793bis is for real time
conversation during sessions.

Of course MSRP messaging needs to have its end system control as well, so some more words
may be needed to include message oriented media. I hope you look into what is needed for
that mode.

Gunnar

Gunnar Hellstrom
Omnitor AB