Re: [Iptel] Is trunk group a new namespace?

Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com> Fri, 21 January 2005 12:34 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:18:49 -0500
From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Iptel] Is trunk group a new namespace?
Cc: "iptel@ietf.org" <iptel@ietf.org>, "Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@lucent.com>
Sender: iptel-bounces@ietf.org

Also not as chair.

I've considered this further, and concluded that here is a case where
the pragmatic approach in the current draft is probably a better choice
than the more theoretical considerations that led me to consider the
idea of a new namespace.

As such, I agree with everything cullen suggests, but disagree on one
point. Cullen suggests:

 > Allow a trgp and phone-context parameter in a tel URI.
 >
 > Also allows these is a SIP uri even if that SIP URI is not mapable to a
 > valid tel URI

I'd rather not do that. Instead, I'd rather declare this problem
(indicating a trunk group without a phone number) as out of scope. This
is not a tel URI issue at all - its an ISUP to SIP mapping issue. Our
job is to define a way to extend the tel URI to be able to indicate
trunk groups, and nothing more.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

Cullen Jennings wrote:

> [...]
>>like ;o-tgrp=xxx;t-tgrp=yyy in the R-URI.  Hence we
>>decided to put the originating trunk group in the Contact
>>header with the understanding that when it is used for
>>routing in the reverse side, it will appear in the R-URI
>>position.  But what if it is used in routing on the initiating
>>side?
>>
>>The first issue -- trunk-group being a new resource --
>>is an interesting one.  It has ramificiations, if we decide
>>to go that route.  Where will it appear?  In a new header(s)?
>>as parameters to the R-URI or the Contact URI?  We will need
>>a short paragraph on how to convert trgrp URIs to sip URIs
>>or tell URIs, ...
>>
>>So, we have some choices to make:
>>
>>Regarding putting originating trunk group information: do we
>>want to leave it in the Contact header or find a new place
>>for it?
>

> I view the originating trunk group as part of the name of the resource on
> the GW and thus reasonable to put in the contact.
>

>>Regarding representing trunk group information itself: do we
>>want hash out more abstractly the relationship between the
>>trunk group and the phone number from a namespace prespective?
>>
>>To make matters worse, I will point out that we already have
>>a few implementations that are following
>>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-trunk-group-02.txt.
>>So depending on what we decide, the implementations will be impacted.
>>
>>Opinions and comments welcome.
>

> If someone can point out the harm that results in trunk group being a
> parameter of a tel URI that would be fixed by having a separate namespace, I
> would probably change my opinion.
>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>- vijay
>

> Part of this discussion was brought up by the example of an IAM with no
> originating phone number but where the GW still sends an INVITE. In this
> case SIP does nto say what to put in the From but this is a SIP/tel problem
> not a trunk group problem.
>
> My proposal .... More or less keep what we have and
>
> Allow a trgp and phone-context parameter in a tel URI.
>
> Also allows these is a SIP uri even if that SIP URI is not mapable to a
> valid tel URI
>
> When this is seen in a contact, it identifies the PSTN associated resource
> on the GW identified by the contact header
>
> When this is seen in a request URI, it specifies the desired trunk group for
> reaching the PSTN resource identified in the request URI
>
> We have been discussing this for a long long time as a WG item. Unless
> someone has some specific harm or problem caused by the proposed solutions,
> I'm not keen on totally throwing it out.
>
> PS - I'm sick and can't think straight - I lost my crypto token and can't
> run my VPN so can't do email so have no idea when I will send this or
> receive responses. I reserve the option to claim my evil twin skip wrote
> this and I disagree with all of it :-) Someone convince me I'm nuts.

Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
jdrosen@cisco.com                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com