RE: Adoption call for <draft-pref64folks-6man-ra-pref64-02>

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Fri, 07 December 2018 09:29 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Jen Linkova <furry13@gmail.com>
CC: Fred Baker <fredbaker.ietf@gmail.com>, 神明達哉 <jinmei@wide.ad.jp>, 6man <ipv6@ietf.org>, "6man-chairs@ietf.org" <6man-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: Adoption call for <draft-pref64folks-6man-ra-pref64-02>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 09:29:32 +0000
References: <BD1717B3-C013-4718-9140-283F312C1634@employees.org> <CAJE_bqd3eXQa4xK5t8fbNE+frHrUrAebrKK2=4-jeV1EiJGkWA@mail.gmail.com> <EEFE399E-A197-47FC-82DC-551819EBCE82@gmail.com> <787AE7BB302AE849A7480A190F8B93302E054BB2@OPEXCLILMA3.corporate.adroot.infra.ftgroup> <CAFU7BARuKv-hAmpCeiusxqYsVYB1dr3POq8bB5D=g9_ksZ0WhA@mail.gmail.com> <787AE7BB302AE849A7480A190F8B93302E054CE8@OPEXCLILMA3.corporate.adroot.infra.ftgroup> <CAFU7BAQr-oxrvZ+RKx3SGs1gCRZsrjePx1mpucbBS++UJjNcCg@mail.gmail.com>
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.4]

Re-,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med]
* If you are attached to a cellular network, then the heuristic is just fine. Millions of devices are using it today.
* If you don't want to use the heuristic even when you are connected from a cellular, then go for a dedicated PCO IE.
* If you are in a fixed network (likely a CPE), it is likely that you already support DHCP for other matters.
* If you are in a network which uses PCP because you have anyway other issues to solve because of the presence of a NAT64, then you can leverage on it.

We do have a rich set of tools.

> > > - signalling any changes are problematic;
> >
> > [Med] No sure to understand this one, too. The problem is more on the RA
> side rather than a centralized approach. RFC7051 says explicitly the
> following:
> >
> >    Compared to the DHCPv6 equivalent solution in Section 5.6, the
> >    management overhead is greater with the RA-based solution.  With the
> >    DHCPv6-based solution, the management can be centralized to a few
> >    DHCPv6 servers compared to the RA-based solution where each access
> >    router is supposed to be configured with the same information.
>
> 1) not necessary the *same*

[Med] Agree. But, DHCP supports context-specific configuration information. Please check RFC7969.

> 2) if SLAAC is used, each access router is supposed to be configured
> with the same information anyway (preferred lifetime, DNS, MTU etc).
> Obviously if the choice towards SLAAC was made, this is not a problem
> for the specific network (hint: automation)

[Med] Cool, It is fine to argue that signaling to contact all access routers or a subset of them is just OK because this can be automated. But it does not explain why "signalling any changes are problematic" which is your initial point.

> > RA is more concerned with stale Pref64s vs. others.
>
> How?

[Med] If you change a prefix on a NAT64 instance, you need to reflect that change appropriately in all or a subset of access routers. Hence the risk for stale Pref64. Errors may occur, even with automation.

> > > - some devices basically do not support those mechanisms;
> >
> > [Med] This would apply to any piece of configuration, not only the one
> discussed in this draft.
>
> Any IPv6-enabled device supports SLAAC. This is a mechanism I'm using
> to configure devices. I just need one more config option to be
> propagated.

[Med] We all know what can be configured using RA. There many many services that you cannot configure using RA.

> >If I want to provision a SIP proxy, a DOTS server, or DS-Lite AFTR using RA,
> would 6man let me do that?
>
> This would be a question to the group. I probably would not object if
> you have a use case to solve...
>
> >> Also, the network is the authoritative source of information re: the
> > > presence of NAT64 translators and the prefixes used. As NAT64 prefix
> > > is the essential part of the network configuration information (it's
> > > required to provide access to IPv4-only resources), RA seems to be
> > > perfectly suitable to contain that information.
> >
> > [Med] RFC7051 already covered this:
> >
> >    -  The RA-based solution involves changes and management on network-
> >       side nodes that are not really part of the NAT64/DNS64 deployment
>
> My network-side nodes which need to be changed for enabling pref64 RA
> option are *really* part of the NAT64 deployment. They are either
> doing NAT64 themselves
> or they have to have a route in their routing table pointing to the NAT64
> boxes.

[Med] This is deployment-specific. NAT64 function is not generally located in the access router in typical deployments.

> >       or aware of issues caused by NAT64/DNS64.
>
> I read this as  "DHCPv6 servers and PCP boxes are fully aware of
> issues caused by NAT64/DNS64"?
>
> > > RFC7050 is a hack which has a fundamental problem: "to be able to use
> > > DNSSEC, let's trust unverifiable DNS response". It's the best thing we
> > > have currently but we can do better.
> >
> > [Med] Existing mechanisms already solve this.
>
> I've explained above why it might not be desirable to deploy PCP just
> for making devices aware of NAT64 prefix..

[Med] I don't parse your answer. No one suggested to enable X just because you need to discover prefix64!