draft-gont-6man-slaac-renum-00

Lee Howard <lee@asgard.org> Mon, 18 February 2019 18:07 UTC

From: Lee Howard <lee@asgard.org>
Subject: draft-gont-6man-slaac-renum-00
To: ipv6@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 13:07:37 -0500

1. Introduction

I would prefer "A common deployment scenario" over "Probably the most
common deployment scenario."

"tipically" --> "typically"

3.1 Improvement to SLAAC

The passive voice confused me here. I think you mean, "When a host
receives an RA from a router from which it has received other RAs, but
this RA does not include PIO (+A) for the previous prefix, it (the host)
should set the Preferred Lifetime for addresses in that prefix to 0."

This solution assumes that a router will include all prefixes in ever
RA; rfc4861 (NDP) says that RAs in response to RSs, or during
initialization, "a router SHOULD include all options so that all
information (e.g., prefixes) is propagated quickly during system
initialization." Since it's not a MUST, it's potentially legal for
routers to send separate RAs with different prefixes. In your proposed
SLAAC scenario, the host would alternately deprecate each address.

3.3 Stable prefixes

Where most of the discussion on the lists has been.

When I was involved in large networks, we had two problems with stable
prefixes. First, we had redundant DHCPv6 servers in diverse data
centers, and no scalable way to share lease information between them. So
if DHCPv6 server A issued a prefix, but then at renew or reboot or
whatever DHCPv6 server A was unreachable or DHCPv6 server B just
responded faster, then server B would issue a prefix from its pools. We
found some ways to link backend systems such that we could do a few
stable prefixes based on DUIDs, but it didn't scale (especially
considering DUIDs are only stable with the gateway).

The other problem was that the network changes constantly. There is no
assurance that the edge device to which a customer is currently
connected will remain the same, or that that edge device will remain in
the same logical hub. For a variety of reasons, there was the potential
for many thousands of disaggregated prefixes to be leaked into the IGP,
and that would not be good for the network.

I think this option needs to be included in the draft for the sake of
completeness, but I still disagree with those who want it to be mandatory.

When a client has learned its address from DHCPv6, does it also have
this problem? I think it would, until the DHCPv6 lifetime expires. A CE
router that reboots wouldn't know it needs to send a Reconfigure (and my
understanding is that there's little support for that option, but I
haven't tested).

Additional suggestion:

If home gateways implemented RPF, they would simply drop packets from
invalid (i.e., old) prefixes. We could add a new ICMPv6 message called
"Invalid Source" which the router would return, notifying the host that
either that source address prefix is stale, or it was sending to the
wrong router. Host logic could pretty well sort out whether there was a
better router to try, might send RSs for more information, and/or might
deprecate that prefix/address and try a different one, or try DHCPv6.

I note that anywhere IP addresses are used for policy, the "flash
renumbering" problem exists. In an SD-WAN environment, the controller
might be able to learn the new prefix from the CE router and trigger new
security and routing policies, and maybe even update DNS, but it can't
touch hosts.

I think this draft is important in describing this issue and giving us
written exploration of solution space, but I don't think the problem
description needs to advance; ultimately, a solution document should be
adopted and move forward.

Lee