Re: Neighbor Unreachability Detection is too impatient

Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net> Mon, 23 May 2011 19:47 UTC

Subject: Re: Neighbor Unreachability Detection is too impatient
From: Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 21:47:06 +0200
To: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org

Erik Kline and I wrote up an experience we had with NUD and a broken IPv6 firewall on my home network.

http://sites.google.com/site/ipv6center/icmpv6-is-non-optional

In short, NUD thought that a host which was in the neighbor cache really wasn't available (due to incorrect FW blocking at the host) removed it from the neighbor cache and started dropping packets (and causing timeouts in gmail). In test, it took about 8 pings for the problem to manifest (time for NUD to retry enough to fail), which was followed by the classic IPv6 to IPv4 failover by the host (Windows Vista).

On one hand, if NUD had been more patient we may have never noticed. However, tracking down a bug that showed up less often would have clearly been more difficult to diagnose. Double-edged sword.

Also, the Broadband Forum's WT-146 (which isn't a public document, but if you are BBF member you can take a look at it)  specifies NUD as a monitoring mechanism for "IPv6 sessions" over access links (which ultimately may be tied into billing, alerts, etc.).

- Mark