Re: ND NS/NA support required on point-to-point links?

Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org> Mon, 19 July 2010 11:17 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:51:26 +0930
From: Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org>
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: ND NS/NA support required on point-to-point links?
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org, dthaler@microsoft.com

Hi Pascal,

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:33:03 +0200
"Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark:
>
> A new ND registration model is being developed at 6LoWPAN to enable a
> proactive population of the ND cache - table, really -. Applying the ND
> registration to the P2P link case, the endpoint routers would need to
> register to one another prior to delivering packets on that link. Any
> packet for the subnet on link that does not match an NC Entry would be
> dropped as opposed to blindly passed to the other end. I tried at some
> point to modernize RFC 3122 but it seems a better approach to generalize
> the ND registration to P2p in particular and NBMA links at large.
>
> What do you think?

Coincidentally, I bought the 6LoWPAN books last week, and have just
been reading about the ND NR/NC protocol on the train to and from work
in the last day or so. That seems like a good alternative to ND NS/NA.
I think it'd achieve the goal of being able to generate ICMP
destination unreachables, eliminate the ping-pong problem, and preserve
the simplicity of universal /64 assignments to all link types. I
haven't come across whether NUD is still performed in 6LoWPAN, however
since the scenario we're talking about isn't likely to be as low
bandwidth or power sensitive, I think NUD could be used to further
reduce the detection time of failed nodes, in addition to the ND NR
registration expiry time.

That model would also seem to be a good method to significantly mitigate
the off-link source ND cache attack on LAN /64s, preventing that attack
from e.g. Internet sources. Although the default router's neighbor cache
would be vulnerable to malicious onlink devices, which could use ND NR
messages to exhaust the cache, those devices have a far more of a
vested interest in the default router(s) staying available, so they're
much less likely to attempt it compared to Internet origin attackers
who suffer no consequence if successful.

I seem to remember a discussion I had with Erik Nordmark a while back,
after I suggested the idea of using MLD joins for the solicited node
address as a method of validating neighbor cache entries, where he
thought that ultimately a registration protocol would be the best
solution. It'd seem that this 6lowpan ND NR/NC protocol would be a good
candidate for resolving these issues.

Regards,
Mark.