Re: Question about SLAAC: how the host determines the prefixesallocated from different prefix pools

Brian Haberman <brian@innovationslab.net> Wed, 09 June 2010 15:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:12:52 -0400
From: Brian Haberman <brian@innovationslab.net>
To: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Question about SLAAC: how the host determines the prefixesallocated from different prefix pools

On 6/9/10 9:01 AM, Fortune HUANG wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Thank you very much for your comments.
>
> With your comments, I realize that the User Class Option defined in RFC 3004
> allows much flexibility because the User Class value is an opaque field and
> implementation specific. Without a centralized control point, the value of
> the User Class can not be well maintained. So I agree with you that the User
> Class Option is better managed in the centralized approach like DHCPv6 and
> the User Class can not be introduced to RA in the same way as defined in RFC
> 3004.
>
> So I think if we would like to extend the RA or PIO option, we would need
> unified or global values for the service types (not using the User Class in
> this case). That is to say, the service types associated with the prefix
> should be allocated by IANA. What do you think? Would this approach be
> better?

The management of that registry would be chaotic.  There is good reason
why the User Class value is opaque.  Each network has its own set of
requirements and the aggregated requirements would overwhelm the registry.

In this type of scenario, I would prefer to have networks needing this
type of functionality to stick with the proven technology.

Regards,
Brian