Re: IPv6 Address Architecture update question

Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org> Tue, 01 February 2005 20:59 UTC

To: "Bound, Jim" <jim.bound@hp.com>
From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:45:16 +1100
Cc: IPv6 WG <ipv6@ietf.org>, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: IPv6 Address Architecture update question
Sender: ipv6-bounces@ietf.org

> Folks,
>
> I strongly agree with Bob Hinden.  We have been down this path before
> and discussion.  IPv4-Mapped addresses are now used on every production
> implementation and in most IPv6 production IP dual stacks.  They cannot
> be removed and the industry will not and does not support such a change.
> The APIs are in use now also by Application Providers porting to IPv6.
> There is absolutely no reason to deprecate Mapped-Addresses and such an
> idea is totally unacceptable for all the reasons below and also we
> should not alter our base specification.
>
> Regarding compatible addresses they are harmless but not being used by
> most implementations or deployments, 6to4 is used.   But I see not point
> in deprecating that either.
>
> Regards,
> /jim

	I agree w/ Jim that they should not be removed.  What should
	be done is to identify where the different implementations
	behave differently and document the correct behaviour.

	e.g.
	    Can in6_pktinfo be used on mapped addresses?

	    Does :: trump a IPv4 socket bound to a interface address
	    when the same port is used?

	    Does :: trump a IPv4 socket bound 0.0.0.0 when the same port
	    is used?

	It is inconsistancies like this make using mapped addresses
	hard.

	The choice of whether to use mapped addresses should remain w/
	the appliacation developer.

	Mark