RE: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-grand-02 - override flag for preferred address

Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com> Thu, 17 September 2020 09:03 UTC

From: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>
To: Jen Linkova <furry13@gmail.com>
CC: "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-grand-02 - override flag for preferred address
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:03:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.206.217]

Hi Jen,
See in-line
Ed/

[Ed: ] We have to assume that DAD work. Or else we need to scrape it.
Moreover, probability of unintentional duplicates is extremely small.
It is not just because 2^64, but additionally lost multicast.

> >Then there is no way to shut up any host (from both duplicates).
>
> Not sure what you mean...Could you please elaborate?
[Ed: ] Before DAD finish - it is possible to send negative NA and push at least one host out of this address.

> > Very bad things would happen:
> > Only one would win the fight for neighbor cache record on the router.
> >
> > 1-way MITM: other one would sent upstream normal, but return traffic would
> go to first host.
>
> Let's not call it MITM unless the first host is malicious and intends to forward
> traffic back to the second host.
[Ed: ] I am developing security feature. I should assume that 1st or 2nd could be the Intruder.

> > 2-way MITM at the same time: You could not assume what host (first or
> second) is more valuable - second one could be the important server after
> reboot.
> >Then other one would get all requests to applications (DB, File Server, Web)
> from outside of the subnet. At least to collect passwords, and may be much
> more... depends on application type.
> >

> > My problem: router could not see duplicity (and help) if at least legal host
> would not be persuasive to claim neighbor cache entry on the router.
>
> I believe you need to define 'the legitimate' first.
> The grand draft follows the approach of the Optimistic DAD RFC4429:
> the host which got the address first is the rightful owner. The newcomer should
> not cause any disruption.
[Ed: ] It is the wrong approach: 1st is not always right.
I have shown already the situation when Intruder would catch server in reload that would give him chances to impersonate valuable corporate Server with application that everybody use.
If we have duplicate addresses and both are trying to use it - both should be blocked.
It would not happen without Intruder, because DAD should shut up one.

> > Override flag set does permit for router to understand that address has
> achieved Preferred status (not optimistic) - action could be taken now.
>
> I feel like I need to read your draft first so we can establish some common
> ground for the discussion.
[Ed: ] It is very right comment - it is very weak point in all this discussion that I have initiated. I hope very soon.
> Has it been submitted and I missed it? If you could provide a link, it would be
> highly appreciated.
>
> > In general, I do not respect this story about "first-come/first-serve" (I propose
> to block both).
>
> So far I'm afraid we disagree on this topic.
> As an operator I have a strong preference on minimizing the disruption for the
> existing elements.
> When I'm adding a new element to the network and there is smth wrong with it
> (e.g. a duplicated address), I want the new element to malfunction, not smth
> else.
[Ed: ] But what if such "disruption" could not happen in normal operation (address collision followed by DAD fail has very low probability).
What if it is clear evidence that you have Intruder. Would you put Security on priority? not convenience for NOC.
Especially in the respect to MITM and leakage of information.