Re: draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-05.txt

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Wed, 06 April 2016 19:56 UTC

Subject: Re: draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-05.txt
To: David Lamparter <equinox@diac24.net>, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 16:55:46 -0300
Cc: 6man <ipv6@ietf.org>

On 4/6/16 12:18 PM, David Lamparter wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 11:37:17PM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>> I'll be presenting
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-05 in 6man on
>> Wednesday. There are operational considerations here, so I encourage
>> people to drop in and/or comment on this draft.
> Ok... easy comments/opinions first:
> - should definitely be ICMP, not UDP.  Erik Nordmark's suggestion to
>    piggyback on NUD sounds great, though admittedly I haven't thought it
>    through looking for pitfalls.
One issue compared to a dedicate probe is that a NUD (a unicast NS) of
size X wouldn't necessarily result in a unicast NA that is also padded;
perhaps one can add such behavior so that we can get the bidirectional
probe in both directions.

Note that just like TCP can suppress the need for NUD (per RFC 4861) a
TCP implementation could also indicate to the IP layer than a packet of
size X got through, which could be used to suppress the MTU probe. That
applies independently of what protocol is used to do the MTU probing.

> - if possible (not sure on NUD interactions), this should use RFC5082
>    TTL security, sending HL=255 and discarding packets !=255
Yes, it would make sense to use the TTL security approach for the probe
protocol, whether it is UDP or NUD or something else.

> - there's probably a lot of 4821 that can be incorporated by reference,
>    shortening the draft by quite a bit
Are you referring to the choice of sizes to try? I haven't re-read 4861
next to this draft.

> - Mark Townsley's comment about extension headers doesn't make sense to
>    me; we're looking at a single subnet here -- do we really want to
>    support a non-fully-transparent layer 2 bridge messing up the packets?
My understanding is that the muti-mtu draft is for the local link, and
not for end-to-end.

An observation is that if/where RFC4821 is implemented, then the
dependency on ICMP PTB is removed. Hence addresses Mark's comment.

> - the padding should be specified as "MUST be non-zero" and checksum
>    validation a "MUST";  I've personally seen devices that zero out
>    packets beyond their size limits but still switching them.
Good point.

Regards,
    Erik