Re: [Isis-wg] draft-eastlake-isis-trill-00.txt

mike shand <mshand@cisco.com> Fri, 25 June 2010 09:36 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 10:36:27 +0100
From: mike shand <mshand@cisco.com>
To: isis-wg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] draft-eastlake-isis-trill-00.txt

Donald,

A few comments, mostly relatively minor, but with some more substantial
ones about PDU types towards the end.

General... The terms TRILL IS, IS, Intermediate System and RBridge seem
to be used interchangeably. Is there in fact any distinction being made
by the different terms, or should they all be replaced by a common term?

Some TLV descriptions specify explicitly that multiple instances and or
zero instances are permitted, but others don't. It would be helpful
either to explicitly state each case, or announce a convention such as
that only a single instance is allowed unless explicitly permitted.

Aha! I now see that the tables at the end specify the number of
instances permitted. Perhaps it would actually be better to say nothing
about the number of times TLVs and sub-TLVs may occur in their textual
descriptions and leave it to the tables at the end?

2.2 Multi-Topology aware Port Capability TLV

    The Multi Topology aware Port Capability (MT-PORT-CAP) TLV is IS-IS
    TLV type 143 [TBD] and has the format show below. The sub-TLVs that
    it carries are a new series of sub-TLVs.

TYPO s/show/shown/

Topology Identifier

I'm a little puzzled why this appears to be different from the
corresponding field in the GMAC-ADDR sub-TLV. One is called a topology
ID and the other a topology identifier, and in one case the top 4 bits
are reserved, and in the other they are not.

2.3 Sub-TLVs for the Router Capability TLV

    The Router Capability TLV is specified in [RFC4971] and may be
    generated by the originating IS. All of the sub-sections below of

Stating that this may be generated by the originating IS is somewhat
superfluous (and perhaps  implies that other TLVs may be generated by
systems other than the originating IS, which, with the notable exception
of the newly proposed purge ID TLV, is not the case)

2.3.4 The Tree Identifiers Sub-TLV

In the event a tree identifier can be
       computed from two such sub-TLVs and are different,

TYPO presumably this should read "and they are different".

2.3.5 The Trees Used Identifiers Sub-TLV

and the trees listed are those that the originating intermediate
    systems wishes

TYPO? Presumably "that the originating system wishes". But see also the
general comment about consistency of nomenclature

2.3.6 Interested VLANs and Spanning Tree Roots sub-TLV

In the LSPs originated by an IS,

Perhaps better, "In the set of LSPs....."

The largest appoint forwarder

TYPO? s/appoint/appointed/

R, RESV: These reserved bits MUST be set as zero

TYPO: s/set/sent/

Appointed Forwarder Status Lost Counter:

I assume this is a 4 byte counter to avoid the possibility that it might
wrap. I also assume that it is initialised to zero when the RBridge is
started. I can't see see any specific information about when and how it
is initialised in the TRILL spec reference quoted.

2.4 MTU sub-TLV of the Extended Reachability TLV

It occurs nested as within

Strange turn of phrase (copied from the original common layer 2 spec I
think). Just "It occurs within.." would suffice.

2.5 TRILL Neighbor TLV

The TRILL Neighbor TLV is used in TRILL-Hellos (see Section 4.1
    below) in place of the IS Neighbor TLV, as specified in Section
    4.4.2.1 of [RFCtrill].

This is somewhat confusing. I assume it is saying that the TRILL
neighbor TLV is used in a TRILL Hello in place of the IS Neighbor TLV in
an IIH??

While the requirements for there to be no gaps, and the possibility of
overlaps is called out in the referenced section of the TRILL spec, the
necessity for an ID to appear in multiple "fragments" to ensure that
condition is not obvious, and I wonder if some clarification is
required, either here, or in the TRILL spec itself.

F: failed.  This bit is a one if MTU testing to their neighbor

should that be "to this neighbor"?

3. The MTU PDUs

Are two seperate PDUs really required. Would not a single PDU type with
a flag to indicate probe or ACK suffice?

The MTU PDUs have the standard IS-IS PDU common header

It's not very clear what is meant by "the standard IS-IS PDU common
header". I assume this is up to and including the "Maximum Area
Addresses" field, but this needs to be explicitly stated.

The Ack Source ID is set to zero in MTU-probe PDUs.  An Intermediate
    System issuing an MTU-ack set this field

TYPO: s/set this field/sets this field/

and MUST be padded to the size being tested
    with the Padding TLV.

HOW must it be padded? Does it use the pad TLV (8) defined for IIHs, and
if so does the padding have to be exact? (See clause 8.2.3 of ISO/IEC
10589). Or is the length simply extended with no "filling" with TLVs?

4.1 TRILL-Hello PDUs

Instead, TRILL-Hellos uses the TRILL

TYPO: s/uses/use/

4.2 Area Address

    The TRILL uses

TYPO: s/TRILL/TRILL-Hello.

6.1 Allocations From Existing Registries

The final "NUMBER" column
    indicates the permitted number of occurrences of the sub-TLV in their
    TLV as follows:

Since a router Capability TLV is permitted to occur multiple times
within the set of LSPs generated by a particular system, there seems to
be the potential for a sub-TLV with NUMBER 0-1 to occur exactly once
within multiple router capability TLVs, which would appear to be in
conformance with these restrictions, but in fact should still have
unspecified results. I think this wording needs tightening up.

6.2 New Sub-Registries Created and Their Initial Contents

The final "NUMBER" column
    indicates the permitted number of occurrences of the sub-TLV
    cumulatively within all the occurrences of their TLV in a particular
    PDU as follows:

While I don't think this is an issue in the spec as currently defined
(but see below), there is a potential ambiguity if this text were used
to define the number of permissible occurrences within a PDU, and the
PDU type was LSP and the restriction was exactly 1. This arises from the
confusion between PDUs, LSPs and so called LSP fragments. As written,
the text would appear to permit exactly one instance of the TLV in each
individual LSP (i.e. PDU, with type LSP) generated by a particular
system. This, I think, is not the intent. The actual requirement is that
there MUST be exactly one instance within the entire set of LSPs
(sometimes, in my opinion, erroneously referred to as LSP fragments)
generated by a particular system.

Since the required action on violation of this constraint is for the PDU
to be ignored, it is critical that implementations perform this check
consistently, since it could otherwise result in some systems ignoring
an entire erroneous PDU (which may contain other significant routing
data), and other systems making use of the PDU, and hence potentially
generating routing loops.

Clearly, such a situation would only occur when the generating system
was non-conformant, but we have plenty of instances of non-conformant
IS-IS implementations in the wild, and it would seem wise to be as
conservative here as possible.

I repeat, that this is not an issue in the current spec, but I am
concerned either that at some stage the spec would be extended to
include the ambiguous case, or that some other spec would take this text
as the definitive way of documenting such restrictions and would fall
into this trap.

I think it could be fixed simply by saying

The final "NUMBER" column
    indicates the permitted number of occurrences of the sub-TLV
    cumulatively within all the occurrences of their TLV in  a particular
    PDU, or in the case of LSPs the entire set of LSPs generated by the
systrem as follows:

However, on reflection, since TRILL HELLOS (aka IIHs) are now permitted
to be "fragmented", do we indeed have this problem? Presumably it is
permitted for sequential IIHs containing different ranges of neighbor
records to all contain an MT port capability TLV containing VLAN and
Flags, provided that it doesn't occur multiple times within the same
actual PDU?

In any case I think some clarification is required.

8.1 Normative References

    [IS-IS] - ISO/IEC 10589, "Intermediate System to Intermediate System
          Intra-Domain Routing Exchange Protocol for use in Conjunction
          with the Protocol for Providing the Connectionless-mode Network
          Service (ISO 8473)", 2002.

Just to be absolutely clear that we are referencing the second edition,
it is usual to quote this reference as

ISO/IEC 10589:2002, Second Edition

END of comments

     Mike