Re: [Isis-wg] draft-bhatia-manral-crypto-req-isis-01.txt

Vishwas Manral <vishwas@ipinfusion.com> Fri, 02 March 2007 21:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:53:27 -0800
From: Vishwas Manral <vishwas@ipinfusion.com>
To: Tony Li <tli@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] draft-bhatia-manral-crypto-req-isis-01.txt
Cc: isis-wg@ietf.org

Tony,

I am sorry again. I guess I need to clarify further. Thanks for pointing
it out.

If we use a function to compress a set a of size X to a result set of
size output x, where X > x , then there are bound to be collisions. I
think same way when for a message of any length(0 to infinite) we
compress it to a message of size 32 bits it is meant to collide. The
number of inputs is more than the number of outputs.

What I mean is not that hashing wont have collisions, but that finding
them should not be easy. That was the intention. I gave you the typical
example served for the same about two documents with the same hash and
hence the same signature.

Thanks,
Vishwas