[Isis-wg] Cryptographic Algorithm Implementation Requirements for IS-IS

Manav Bhatia <manav_bhatia06@yahoo.co.uk> Sat, 22 July 2006 01:39 UTC

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:39:39 +0000
From: Manav Bhatia <manav_bhatia06@yahoo.co.uk>
To: isis <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Subject: [Isis-wg] Cryptographic Algorithm Implementation Requirements for IS-IS

Hi,

This draft follows the ISIS HMAC SHA authentication draft that was presented in Montreal.

This document lists down the various authentication schemes and algorithms that IS-IS can use to authenticate its PDUs. Further to ensure interop between different
implementations, it specifies a set of MUST/SHOULD/MAY support auth schemes/algos to ensure that there is atleast 1 auth algo/scheme that all implementations support.

This is basically an equivalent of RFC 4305 for IS-IS.

The nature of cryptography is that new algorithms surface continuously and existing algorithms are continuously attacked. An algorithm believed to be strong today may be demonstrated to be weak tomorrow.  Given this, the choice of mandatory-to-implement algorithm should be conservative so as to minimize the likelihood of it being compromised quickly.

Also, we need to recognize that the mandatory-to-implement algorithm(s) may need to change over time to adapt to the changing world. For this reason, the selection of mandatory-to-implement algorithms should not be included in the base IS-IS specification. This way it is only this document that needs to get updated, whenever there is a need to update the status of mandatory-to-implement authentication algorithms or if some authentication algorithms are deprecated/obsoleted.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bhatia-manral-crypto-req-isis-00.txt

Thanks,
Manav