RE: [Isms] draft meeting agenda for Dallas

"David B Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Mon, 13 March 2006 17:08 UTC

From: David B Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: 'Juergen Quittek' <quittek@netlab.nec.de>, isms@ietf.org, j.schoenwaelder@iu-bremen.de
Subject: RE: [Isms] draft meeting agenda for Dallas
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:08:04 -0500

Hi Juergen,

Should the agenda include a presentation reviewing the interim
meeting, the proposed decisions, and the action items?

Will the discussion be oriented toward the list of open issues from
the wiki? If so, they should be summarized with the mailing list input
so far. You should probably give the URL for the wiki in the agenda.

Will the discussion be oriented toward the list of open issues from
the [todo] and [discuss] markers in the documents? If so, they should
be summarized with the mailing list input so far. This [todo] and
[discuss] approach did not seem very effective at IETF64, because
there are so many large issues we have not resolved.

One action item from the interim was to arrange an editing meeting at
IETF65. Do you intend to do so? What specific goals do you hope to
achieve at such an editing meeting? My calendar is filling up; if we
are going to have an editing meeting, let's get the date and time
nailed down, please. Sunday may not be a good choice because people
may not be plannign to arrive early enough. I know some of the SNMP
experts have chosen to not attend IETF65, and others are planning to
leave early in the week. That's going to really limit the options.

The editing meeting at IETF64 went down a specific tangent/rathole
(notifications and callback) and we never reached any clear decisions
or did any editing. The interim became an education meeting, and it
failed to achieve clear decisions for forward progress or provide any
specific text for the documents. If we are going to have another
editing meeting, can we do some actual editing of the documents? Let's
address the ratholes on the mailing list and during the formal
session, and avoid lots of review of documents people should have
already read.

David Harrington
Standards Manager, IP OAM and Security
FutureWei Technologies, a Huawei company
dharrington@huawei.com
dbharrington@comcast.net
ietfdbh@comcast.net