Re: [ipwave] Higher bandwidth is a requirement, not a number to avoid

Jérôme Härri <jerome.haerri@eurecom.fr> Thu, 20 June 2019 13:49 UTC

From: Jérôme Härri <jerome.haerri@eurecom.fr>
To: 'John Kenney' <jkenney@us.toyota-itc.com>, 'Alexandre Petrescu' <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Cc: 'its' <its@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 15:49:38 +0200
Subject: Re: [ipwave] Higher bandwidth is a requirement, not a number to avoid

Hi John, Alex,

Thanks for the details.

I would also like to add another point that I forgot to mentioned. @Alex did not mention if the DOT11p radio is an automotive-grade or a DOT11a/10Mhz patch…

Of course, both are valid OCB devices BUT…it has been shown on many occasions that the performance of a DOT11a patched for OCB/10Mhz show significantly lower performance compared to the state-of-art automotive grade ITS-G5 devices.

If the tests have been done with a DOT11a patched OCB, then this could also be a reason for the limited capacity. Generally speaking, the current automotive-grade ITS-G5 devices are not DOT11a/10Mhz patched devices anymore and have enhanced PHY features that make around 3-5 dB gain in BER/SNR curves compared to normal patched DOT11a. This is significant !!

But indeed, these devices are more expensive than a normal wifi chip and if a normal wifi board is patched for OCB/10Mhz, then it is an IEEE 802.11p device. They can clearly be used for networking (ip, ad-hoc, etc..) test, but I would suggest not to use these patched devices as a reference for link-layer/capacity tests, as they do not really represent what an automotive-grade ITS-G5/DSRC is really capable of doing.

BR,

Jérôme