Re: [ipwave] Higher bandwidth is a requirement, not a number to avoid

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Fri, 21 June 2019 11:12 UTC

To: Jérôme Härri <jerome.haerri@eurecom.fr>
Cc: 'its' <its@ietf.org>, 'John Kenney' <jkenney@us.toyota-itc.com>
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 13:12:32 +0200
Subject: Re: [ipwave] Higher bandwidth is a requirement, not a number to avoid

Le 20/06/2019 à 17:14, Jérôme Härri a écrit :
> Hi Alex,
>
> The automotive-grade ITS-G5/DSRC devices have an enhanced PHY
> (something called channel tracking, among other things that I am most
> likely not aware...). If you are interested, this is a nice paper
> illustrating the issues of regular DOT11p devices confronted to fast
> time varying channels..."Andre Bourdoux, Hans Cappelle, Antoine
> Dejonghe, Channel Tracking for Fast Time-Varying Channels in
> IEEE802.11p Systems, IEEE globecome 2011" Such enhanced PHY is
> located in the wifi modem, not in a driver (that is the
> 'closed/protected' part of the wifi stack in linux)...I am not aware
> of a way to be able to add this on a linux wifi driver. But such
> enhancement really adds more reliability to the ITS-G5/DSRC system
> (increased range, improved PDR)..
>
> But you are correct...using the wifi DOTa with OCB at 10Mhz follows
> the standard...it is a valid DOT11p device...but it is not the best
> an Wifi-V2X system can do...My point is to say that all WiFi
> OCB/10Mhz are WiFi-V2X but not all WiFi-V2X are WiFi OCB/10MHz..and
> as in any field, there are better products than others (thus the
> business behind it :-) )...

I agree we should distinguish the two terms.  To that end, we would need
to agree on the names of the terms.

On my side, I will use 'open-source' OCB vs 'proprietary' OCB.

You seem to be used DOTa/10MHz vs 'automotive-grade'.  You used other
terms as well.

Other people I heard also saying to me that I just use an 'a' driver
modified.  I did not know that, but I agree to them.

> So, using an 'automotive-grade' (I use brackets as indeed this
> usually refer to more than just performance...) could be one option
> to get closer to the performance you need...but of course, and as I
> mentioned in my early e-mail, it might not be enough for the very
> reason that DOT11p (generic and automotive-grade) have been designed
> with the performance requirements identified for Day One
> applications, not Day Two...

The 'automotive-grade' is thus not a DOTa/10MHz.  I think the
'automotive-grade' OCB is something like Autotalks chips.  That is
closed source, not open source.  That is something much more expensive
than DOTa/10MHz.

I thank you for the recommendation to use 'automotive-grade' OCB.  I
consider it, but I am not likely to use it, because of cost.

It is for this reason that I think I will skip the use of
'automotive-grade' OCB towards increasing the bandwidth.

Others may do differently. (try first 'automotive-grade' OCB to obtain
higher bandwidth than DOTa/10MHz).

I would rather look at trying the DOTa/10MHz with a 20MHz channel width.
  Also try the OCB patch on ath10k driver.  Maybe I will get as much
bandwidth, or even more, than the automotive-grade OCB, and at a lower cost.

> So indeed, increasing bandwidth (20Mhz) or dynamically adapting
> modulation or replacing DOT11p with DOT11bd are other potential
> strategies...and stakeholders are very aware of this...there is a
> need for more capacity, thus we need to do something to get it :-)

I agree with you.

What do you mean by 'dynamically adapting the modulation'?  Do you mean
it is possible to use an 'iw' command to select a modulator like 'ofdm'
vs 'something-else-dm'?

Alex

> [...]
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:00 AM Jérôme Härri
>> <jerome.haerri@eurecom.fr <mailto:jerome.haerri@eurecom.fr>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Alex,
>>
>> You are totally right…applications have increased needs and it is
>> not the right wat to tell an application to send less because of
>> finite capacity of a given technology. One thing to keep in mind
>> though is that the ITS-G5/DSRC has been designed for the needs of
>> so called ‘day one’ applications (e.g. intersection collision
>> avoidance, lane change warning etc..) and it is quite clear that
>> the technology is not adapted to other applications, which would
>> require more capacity (say it is not the fault of the technology,
>> as it has been designed for something and not for something else).
>>
>> The applications you are working on fall within the ‘Day two’ or
>> ‘Day two and half’  (sorry, I am not the one giving these
>> names…just referring to them..) and for these new applications
>> there is absolutely a need for more capacity. In short, we need to
>> find better and more efficient ways to transmit much more data for
>> ITS applications, and indeed not say that people should transmit
>> less J
>>
>> And this is very clear in ETSI, C2C-CC, SAE, even 5GAA…there are
>> specific WG discussing new spectrum usage (10Mhz vs. 20Mhz,
>> multi-channels, etc..) and the current direction to fulfill the
>> capacity requirements of these news applications are either IEEE
>> 802.11bd (the next generation wifi-based V2X) or 5G-V2X (the next
>> generation C-V2X technology), as frequency rechannelization is
>> complex in terms of coexistence and using multi-channels require
>> multi transmitters…
>>
>> In this perspective, your proposed modification might be seen as a
>> temporary patch but if it works for your case, that is good, as
>> there is nothing else available at that time…And if you propose a
>> simpler way of getting more capacity to match day two applications
>> with day one technology, well this is what I would call research
>> J…
>>
>> The point in my previous e-mail was that putting 20MHz in ‘iw’ on
>> an ocb firmware will change a few things at the physical layers
>> that will affect the performance (in good or bad) of your
>> system..for instance, the OFDM guard period will be halved, which
>> will make your link more sensitive to delay long spreads, or will
>> lose 3dB in receiver sensitivity, which would impact your Tx range.
>> As I said in my previous e-mails, there are various teams that have
>> been questioning the 10Mhz channel since a ‘very’ long time now…so,
>> there is no scientific reasons for not trying at 20Mhz and see how
>> it goes…yet, it will not be compatible with the current
>> standards/regulations at that time…(but does not mean it would not
>> change in the future J)
>>
>> Please have a look at some of the work from Prof. Eric Ström of
>> Chalmers (a nice summary is available here:

In short, there are clearly performance gains in perspective…but it