Re: [its] Updated proposal of Charter ITS

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Mon, 08 April 2013 13:36 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 15:36:50 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: its@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [its] Updated proposal of Charter ITS

Le 04/04/2013 03:30, Rex Buddenberg a écrit :
> [...]
>> Vehicle-to-Vehicle communications (V2V), without infrastructure,
>> there is a problem in identifying which subnets and addresses are
>> used on the link between two vehicles; also there is a problem in
>> deciding how one vehicle learns the prefix deployed in a vehicle in
>> close vicinity. In the case of n-hop V2V2V communications there is
>> a need of identification which address configuration and dynamic
>> routing protocol should be employed.  In the case of
>> Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I) communications, there is a problem
>> in propagating the prefix contained in a vehicle to the routers of
>> the infrastructures without destabilizing the Internet routing (a
>> typical IP network is using mostly IP addresses topologically valid
>> at a single point, and relatively stable routing system).
>>
>> One particular use case is under the form of an instrumented
>> ambulance.  The ambulance is connected to the Internet and offers
>> wireless and wired access to a large number of individual
>> equipments deployed in-vehicle.  The ambulance may move through a
>> traffic jam and signal its presence to nearby vehicles with visual
>> means and also with communication packets.
>>
>> Automatic driving through traffic jams involves wireless
>> communications between vehicles.  Constant links between vehicles
>> constitute good support for establishing IP communications.  An IP
>> device in one vehicle may signal its actual speed to another IP
>> device in the vehicle nearby.
>>
>> The smart-city use case is also important for networking country-
>> and world-wide transports.
>
> I don't know how 'smart-city' is defined.  (Possibly related to that
> is 'smart grid' in the US -- it's equally undefined.).  Use cases
> like this are valuable if we can distill requirements from them; if
> the use case is so foggy that we can't distill requirements, then you
> have clutter.
>

>> The use case should lead to development of requirements and
>> services for transports within cities, or countries, making them
>> smart.  The ITS technologies may use techniques from MANET and from
>> RoLL adapted to this smart-city use case.  One may need to consider
>> ETSI IPv6 over GeoNetworking, and also add OLSRv2 as used in
>> community networks.  A hybrid routing protocol could be used.
>>
> You skipped from use case to potential solution.  This omits the
> requirements step between.  And, IMHO, trespasses on what the
> working group, not its charter, should be doing.
>>
>> Several Standards Development Organizations outside IETF work
>> towards developing protocols for vehicular communications.  In some
>> cases IP protocols are used for transport, in other cases IP
>> protocols are modified for purposes particular to vehicular
>> communications (such as the use of geonetworking at ETSI, or
>> 6lowpan intermediate layers at IPSO).  The relevant SDOs and
>> respective groups are: ETSI ITS, ISO TC 204, IEEE 802.11p,
[..]
> Why recite this?  Aside from the obvious overlap?

Because they all talk IP and vehicle in their confidential documents.

> If you look at NPSTC, they have two major faults: 1) operators, not
> planners and 2) locked into looking at extending the internet to
> mobile platforms through the narrowband voice radio experience.  We
> gotta do better.
>
> Of the standards bodies that could possibly get the emergency
> services aspect of reach to mobile, IETF has the best chance.
> Expertise and perspective.
>
>> AUTOSAR, IPSO.  Opportunities exist to develop liaisons with these
>> SDOs.
>>
> How many of these are communications standards?  And how many are
> something else (like position/nav?).
>

>> A number of IETF protocols are being considered in the context of
>> Intelligent Transportation Systems - most notably IPv6, Mobile
>> IPv6, ND, ULA, DHCPv6, RPL, PMIPv6.  Others, such as Global HAHA,
>> are not excluded.  At IETF several Working Groups such as 6MAN,
>> V6OPS, DHC, MIF, MANET, DMM, RoLL, NETEXT, LISP produce work which
>> is highly pertinent to the ITS context.
>
> These are all layer 3 RFCs, aren't they?

YEs.

> This gives rise to a scope question: some of the issues you raise
> above are not layer 3 issues (end-end security for example).  Are
> you intending to confine to layer 3 or worry about higher/lower layer
> issues within [its]?

If you ask me, and compared that way, I would highly give preference to
a layer 3 focus.  On another hand, other layers may come into play as
well (e.g. DNS is layer 7 but may be needed for dynamic layer-3 address
auto-configuration).

> [...]
>> pertinence to safety applications of ITS, and it should be
>> clarified whether it pertains to long-range communication between
>> vehicles.
>>
>> Potential new work items ------------------------ The following
>> potential work items exist:
>>
>> Scenarios and requirements for vehicular communications will be
>> developed which introduce at IETF the terms V2V, V2I, V2R and
>> intra-vehicular paradigms.  Define various possible scenarios for
>> IP vehicular communications and identify requirements that are
>> essential to support the defined scenarios.
>>
>> Practices and gap analysis for IP vehicular communications:
>> document practices for the deployment of existing IP protocols and
>> identify any limitation of the existing IP protocols to fulfill the
>> scenarios and requirements for IP vehicular communications.  If
>> limitations are identified as part of the above deliverable,
>> specify new protocols or extensions to existing protocols that
>> removes the identified limitations to achieve IP vehicular
>> communications.
>>
>> A problem statement draft should be written which documents the
>> existing protocols, analyses the gaps of their behaviour in 1-hop
>> V2V networks and expresses the need for a new solution.
>>
>> Supplementary work items ------------------------
>> Infrastructure-less 1-hop route exchanges between vehicles, or
>> between vehicles and road-side units which are disconnected from
>> the infrastructure.  A widely-used link-scoped IP protocol should
>> be reused for prefix exchanges between vehicles in close vicinity;
>> a single subnet is used between such vehicles, which are otherwise
>> disconnected from the infrastructure.
>>
>> IEEE 802.11p is a link layer technology specific to vehicular
>> communications, and which may be used for IP for ITS.  In certain
>> places this link layer technology is named "G5".  Several trials
>> of using IP directly over 802.11p links (without intermediate
>> layers) have been performed in laboratory environments.
>>
>> A vehicle may have a multiplicity of interfaces, and a multiplicity
>> of addresses outside and inside the vehicle, at the same time, for
>> different purposes.
>>
>> For the use of IPv6 addresses inside a vehicle it is necessary the
>> addressing schemes which couled be employed, and which address
>> auto-configuration mechanism(s) (or a combination thereof) should
>> be employed such that to be inline with the in-vehicle application
>> requirements scenarios.
>

> There is a host of issues here; needs a sort.  If you are going to
> have a vehicle disconnected (or tenuously, intermittently connected)
> to the internet, then there are several services that it either must
> do without, do with but with delay, or provide itself.  DHCP seems to
> be what you had in mind here.  But DNS and white pages (PKI) access
> is also required (there are probably more ... and some are dependent
> on just what apps you intend to support).

I agree.

>> For outside the vehicle, the use of IPv6 addresses in a subnet
>> formed by the egress interfaces of the vehicles, in a 1-hop ad-hoc
>> manner, is considered.
>>
>> For the fixed network deployed outside the vehicle - the use of
>> Proxy Mobile IPv6 protocol on the fixed mobility management
>> entities may prove advantageous to offer mobility to a moving
>> network deployed in a vehicle.
>>
>> For the security inside the vehicular on-board network,
>> requirements specific to vehicular communications should be
>> formulated.
>>
>> For the security on the link between two vehicles, a secure
>> Neighbor Discovery mechanism should be used.
>>
>> Milestones: Mar 2013 - Meet in Orlando done Jul 2013 - Meet in
>> Berlin Jul 2013 - Present drafts "Scenarios and Requirements for IP
>> in Intelligent Transportation Systems", and Gap Analysis
>
> Is this the task you envision?
>
> [its] is, of course, interesting (why I signed up to the newsgroup).
> But I'm having a hard time figuring out what the intended goals are.

I think we will first write requirements and scenarios, maybe problem
statement, and maybe if time allows a gap analysis.

> I built about half the course I used to teach around what I called
> Plowshares into Swords Internet -- what are the differences between
> garden variety internet (office, residence) and what we need ('we'
> can be either military or emergency services, the analysis works the
> same). The differences sort into four (only) bins: - availability and
> survivability - security - reach to mobile platforms - QoS Control
> Which sets you up for about 8 hours of lecture.
>
> Suggest that that might fit here.

Ok, send it in.  We may need it.  Maybe we could write a draft with its
contents and fit it in the Charter proposal.

Alex