Re: [geonet/its] Presentation of draft about geolocation in IPv6 headers - 6MAN Working Group

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 26 November 2014 18:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:04:00 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Rex Buddenberg <buddenbergr@gmail.com>
Cc: dickroy@alum.mit.edu, its@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [geonet/its] Presentation of draft about geolocation in IPv6 headers - 6MAN Working Group

Le 24/11/2014 19:36, Rex Buddenberg a écrit :
[...]
> 3.  Layer 3 security is applied to datagrams.  This is what the ID in
> 6MAN is doing.  The scope of security is enclave as in VPN. (Enclaves
> do not include end systems).  The chief payoff in layer 3 security is
> that you can mix multiple wide area networking needs into a single
> infrastructure -- each community can have an enclave to itself.

Right.

The protection afforded by ESP and AH headers to the DO header
(containing geo coordinates) is as high, flexible and measured as any
protection at layers 4 and 5 (SSL).

Whereas one _may_ worry about the privacy risks induced by the IP source
address being always in-clear in the base header, the same worry does
not apply to something that is in the DO header.

This is why I do not understand the security worries for comments of
this draft.

[...]

> Layer 6-7 protection is end-to-end -- from end system to end system,

And Layer 3 security is also end-system to end-system.

> wholly agnostic about the networking infrastructure.   Because it
> protects the data, layer 6-7 protection can protect data at rest
> (e.g. on a flash or disk drive) just as easily as over the
> internetwork.  So it's not only end-system to end-system, but
> _through_ end systems as well, partially protecting the data against
> possible malware in an end system. E-mail, with S/MIME protections,
> is the most ubiquitous example of layer 6-7 protections.
>

> This exchange is correct; it makes, IMHO, even better sense when you
>  apply the scope of security reasoning:

>> I agree with this draft's point.  The location information is a
>> good hint for routing convergence.  When most core links have
>> similar speeds, better connect to the closer router.  Router
>> location is also good for a tie breaker when two destination have
>> equal costs.
>>
>>> All the others involved sending source location to
>>> destination(s)
> and
>>> that's NOT a layer 3 problem.
>

> Geographic information is exchanged in organized form by several
> internet applications:
>> Third, other agreed non-IP networking layers already exchange
>> geo-location information - are these net layers or app layers?
>>

> SNMP, for example, contains a location variable in the MIB.  It's
> only defined as a string right now but it's a space where an
> administrator can say 'this gadget is installed in the 4th floor
> wiring closet'.  You could certainly encode a Lat/Lon/Alt chunk of
> data in the space.  SNMP is an application -- layer 7.  So the scope
> of the SNNP (v3) security measures is indeed end-to-end. PAWS, which
> I've mentioned before on [its] also is an application. Layer 6-7.
> It's Lat/Lon/Alt information is therefore at app layer.

I think there are different uses of Lat/Lon/Alt information that need
different placement in layers.

Browsing webpage to see an object location is typical example of putting
coordinates in app layer.  It is good for certain uses like fleet
management.

But, there are some cases where this app-layer geo-localisation is not
enough, or sometimes plain wrong - 'inaccurate' would say some.  It is
especially wrong when associations between the IP address and any form
of 'localization'.  This is immediately obvious when trying any of the
following:

- type 'where am I' in a browser to be told the other side of the
   Earth.
- VPN into a gateway to escape local rules to get access to content
   (youtube content not available in your country).
- take a long-distance train or plane and be told you're still in the
   country of origin.

[...]

> You've commented that wiretapping layer 3 geo information for layer 7
> application purposes would be a layer violation.  That is most
> certainly correct.  But what are the consequences of a layer
> violation? 1.  The longer term consequence is that this disrupts the
> organization of the internet with downstream negatives regarding
> interoperability and flexibility.  While true, this is a hard
> argument to sell to a guy with a screwdriver in his hand. 2.  The
> more telling argument is the security scope one.  Layer violations
> provide vectors for penetrating security.  Because the layer
> violation always increases the scope of vulnerability.

But we have IP layer security which works fine.  I dont understand where
would be the risks?  Geo-coordinates in the IP layer would be protected
by IP layer security, no violation, no new risk.

Alex