[its] Narrowing the scope of the Internet-wide Geornetworking activities

<karagian@cs.utwente.nl> Thu, 07 November 2013 11:57 UTC

From: karagian@cs.utwente.nl
To: its@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 11:56:55 +0000
x-mimectl: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V14.2.247.1
x-originating-ip: [64.114.24.114]
Subject: [its] Narrowing the scope of the Internet-wide Geornetworking activities

Hi all,

Below you can find a proposal where I try to narrow signifficantly the scope of the Internet-wide Geonetworking activities:

The Internet-wide Geonetworking WG will focus on:

o) Extend DNS mechanisms and protocols to support mapping, in a bidirectional way, destination geographical areas into IP addresses (or URIs) of Access Routers and/or Gateways, which are able to broadcast or multicast packets to to the nodes located in these destination geographical areas.

o) Design a protocol that carries destination area information from a source node to the Access Routers and/or Gateways, which are able to broadcast or multicast packets from this source to the nodes located in these destination geographical areas.

Note that the way (mecahnisms or protocols) of how the Access Routers and/or the Gateways dsitribute the packets (broadcast or multicast) is out of the scope of this WG. This is because several existing mechanisms can be used for this purpose. E.g., MANET, ETSI ITS IPv6 geonetworking, etc.

Comments are welcome!

Best regards,
Georgios