Re: [Jmap] Proposal: split sharing mechanism from JMAP Calendars spec

Joris Baum <joris@audriga.com> Tue, 15 December 2020 08:22 UTC

To: jmap@ietf.org
From: Joris Baum <joris@audriga.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 09:21:37 +0100
Subject: Re: [Jmap] Proposal: split sharing mechanism from JMAP Calendars spec

Hi Neil,

sounds like a good idea. From what I can see one would currently need to
reuse the CalendarPrincipal and CalendarShareNotification for specs that
are somehow similar to JMAP for Calendars. I would have done it like
that in JMAP for Tasks (and probably also Notes). Since CalDAV also
defines tasks and notes and the JMAP spec relates to CalDAV, reusing
sharing primitives prefixed by "Calendar" would probably only be
semi-weird :P. I like dropping the "Calendar" prefix, because it would
make it clearer that they are generic sharing primitives and not
specific to calendars.

There may be similar issues with other primitives or methods that are
defined in JMAP for Calendars. I am currently planning on keeping JMAP
for Tasks as close as possible to JMAP for Calendars (similar to how
CalDAV does it). The simplest way that I can see, would be to redefine a
nearly identical primitive like CalendarEventNotification called
TaskNotification. I also do not expect most of the method calls to
deviate all too much from what is defined in JMAP for Calendars. This is
why I am planning on simply referencing the methods from JMAP for
Calendars instead of copy+pasting the definition into JMAP for Tasks
(and probably Notes as well). Maybe there is a better way that I am
currently not seeing, or we could move even more into a "generic" spec?

Regards,

Joris