RE: [L1vpn] Coda: Chair review of draft-ietf-l1vpn-bgp-auto-discovery-02.txt

"Hamid Ould-Brahim" <hbrahim@nortel.com> Mon, 01 October 2007 19:33 UTC

Subject: RE: [L1vpn] Coda: Chair review of draft-ietf-l1vpn-bgp-auto-discovery-02.txt
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 15:34:23 -0400
From: Hamid Ould-Brahim <hbrahim@nortel.com>
To: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, l1vpn@ietf.org

Hi Adrian,

> Oh, could you also explain why it is not necessary to
> advertise the VPN ID.
> Or did I miss it?

Certainly. BGP has all the necessary mechanisms to achieve both
VPN membership distribution without a need to carry
specific IDs that uniquely identify the VPNs.

Since the type of l1vpn service we are interested in is a
port-based VPN service, from a control plane point of view
all what is needed is the ability for the remote PEs to
discover the set of PEs that have VPNs in common and the set
of ports associated with the VPNs. BGP allows that through the use of
BGP-MP and with the use of extended community (such as route target)
for the membership and topology distribution. This scheme
plays both the role of a VPN-ID and topology information
distribution without a need for an explicit advertisement
of VPN-IDs.

Do you (or why do you) think a VPN-ID is necessary in the discovery
process?.

Hamid.