Re: [L2tpext] 6MAN cross-wg review: draft-ietf-l2tpext-keyed-ipv6-tunnel-01

Karsten Thomann <karsten_thomann@linfre.de> Fri, 20 February 2015 17:05 UTC

From: Karsten Thomann <karsten_thomann@linfre.de>
To: Giles Heron <giles.heron@gmail.com>, 6man WG <ipv6@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 18:03:39 +0100
Cc: l2tpext@ietf.org, l2tpext-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [L2tpext] 6MAN cross-wg review: draft-ietf-l2tpext-keyed-ipv6-tunnel-01

Hi Giles

comments inline.

<karsten_thomann@linfre.de> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > 4. Is there any reason to not use src + dst ip for all cases instead to
> > only use it for the case that the local ip is used for more than one
> > tunnel? I think every device should know from which IPs it receives
> > packets for a specific local l2tp ip as the cookie must be configured
and
> > should be unique per tunnel.
> I'm not sure the cookie needs to be unique per tunnel?  The session ID
is
> unique per tunnel/IP address pair.  And in the 1:1 case the session ID is
> ignored.
I will try rephrase it in another way, I was thinking about if it is possible to
merge section 2 and 4 at chapter 2:
   The IPv6 L2TPv3 tunnel encapsulating device uniquely identifies each
   Ethernet L2 attachment connection by a port ID or a combination of
   port ID and VLAN ID(s) on the access side, and by a Source and
Destination
   IPv6 address pair on the network side.

I can't think about a case where this should cause problems, as it won't
forbid the use of a single address for multiple tunnels or are there any
deployment scenarios where it should be possible to use multiple source
IPs to send traffic to a single tunnel?

> > 6. I'm not sure if it should be added to the security considerations
> > section, but in RFC 3931 it is mentioned that there are no checksums
for
> > the packets as ipv6 and l2tp have none. I know it was especially
> > mentioned for the control packets, but it also applies to all other
> > packets with payload.
> isn't that more of an issue of detecting corrupted packets than a
security
> consideration?  Re detecting corrupted packets we already have two
> mechanisms: 1) the hop-by-hop FCS
> 2) the payload's own mechanisms (in general the keyed IP tunnel will be
> carrying UDP and TCP traffic that has its own checksum).
>
> so I guess the question is whether there's much value in inserting
another
> level of check in between those two (e.g. an end-to-end integrity check
for
> the tunnel itself)?
As noted I'm really sure if it should be added, I know there was a lenghty
diskussion about checksums for some tunnel mechanisms, but not sure if
it was mpls over udp or a gre over IPv6 draft...
If no one else is thinking that it should be noted that there is no end to
end checksum I'm fine with it.

Regards
Karsten