Re: 答复: Comments on draft-rabadan-l2vpn-evpn-optimized-ir-00

"Rabadan, Jorge (Jorge)" <jorge.rabadan@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 25 July 2014 20:20 UTC

From: "Rabadan, Jorge (Jorge)" <jorge.rabadan@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Lizhenbin <lizhenbin@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: 答复: Comments on draft-rabadan-l2vpn-evpn-optimized-ir-00
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 20:19:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.40]
Cc: "l2vpn@ietf.org" <l2vpn@ietf.org>

Robin,

While I personally believe draft-zhang-l2vpn-evpn-selective-mcast is needed, I also think draft-li-l2vpn-evpn-mcast-state-ad-01 is not adding anything that you can’t do today with the existing EVPN implementations based on the evpn draft rev 07, for optimizing BUM transport. Even for the egress protection, I don’t see the benefit.

Please correct me if I’m wrong: draft-li-l2vpn-evpn-mcast-state-ad proposes the addition of an extended community where you use 1 bit to signal the multicast state (interest for BUM) to the ingress PE, in both, inclusive multicast routes and AD routes. These are the reasons why I think this is not required:

- If the egress PE is not interested in BUM traffic for a given <evi, eth-tag>, it can simply NOT advertise the inclusive multicast for that <evi, eth-tag>. The ingress PE won’t send BUM traffic to that <evi, eth-tag>. This works today and there is no need for anything else IMHO.
- If the egress PE is not interested in BUM for a given <evi, esi>, what is the point of advertising the multicast state of that particular ESI?:
a) normally the evi on the egress PE has more ESIs or single-home connections, so the ingress PE will send the BUM anyway and regardless of the mcast state of the <evi, esi>
b) if there is no other ESIs/single-home CEs in the <evi, eth-tag>, as I said above, the egress PE can simply not advertise the inclusive multicast route.

The optimized-ir draft defines two mechanisms:

  1.  Assisted-replication for IR (orthogonal to the multicast state of a given <evi, eth-tag>)
  2.  Pruned-Flood-Lists (PFL) —> it does not signal interest to receive BUM, but it signals the interest of a given <evi, eth-tag> for receiving B/M or U individually. As I said, the lack of interest for BUM can simply be signaled by withdrawing/not advertising the inclusive multicast route for the <evi, eth-tag>.

Now, for application #2, you can argue that the flags can be included in an additional extended community instead of the PMSI Tunnel Attribute. The reason is purely efficiency: an extended community is 8 more bytes. Using the PMSI TA you add zero bytes. In your draft, you are using 1 bit out of 8 additional bytes, which is highly inefficient.

More comments in-line.
Thank you,

Jorge