RE: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Inter-AS (+ multicast)

"BALUS Florin" <Florin.Balus@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 03 April 2008 22:11 UTC

Subject: RE: L2VPN (Re-)charter: Inter-AS (+ multicast)
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:11:10 -0500
From: BALUS Florin <Florin.Balus@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>, l2vpn@ietf.org
Sender: l2vpn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Shane,

Your suggestions below look good, I just have a comment on the following
text:
"8. Define requirements and solutions for Auto-Discovery and Signaling
of Inter-AS unicast VPLS and VPWS L2VPN's, in addition to Inter-AS
multicast VPLS and VPMS Layer-2 VPN's."

It is understood that there may be other use cases or VPLS solutions
where additional multicast optimizations may be required as described in
the drafts you listed below.

Still "Inter-AS unicast VPLS" suggests that the VPLS solutions developed
up to now where not able to transport multicast at all. Or I am aware of
some large HVPLS deployments handling multicast applications, including
heavy ones like IP TV. Will it be possible to use instead the following
text for 8:

"8. Define requirements and solutions for Auto-Discovery and Signaling
of Inter-AS VPLS and VPWS L2VPN's, in addition to Inter-AS solutions for
multicast-optimized VPLS and VPMS Layer-2 VPN's."

Thanks,
Florin