Re: MPLS over L2TPv3 encap for RFC 2547 VPNs

"W. Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com> Sat, 07 February 2004 09:59 UTC

Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:54:55 +0100
From: "W. Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com>
To: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
CC: l3vpn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: MPLS over L2TPv3 encap for RFC 2547 VPNs
Sender: l3vpn-admin@ietf.org

Dropping double-post to mpls@uu.net. Please see inline.

Yakov Rekhter wrote:

> Mark,
>

>>>In contrast your draft uses BGP not just to specify whether a
>>>particular VPN on a PE should use l2tp to get traffic to that PE,
>>>but also uses BGP to carry the l2tp session and cookie (l2tp signaling
>>
>>information). That is, in contrast to draft-ietf-l3vpn-ipsec-2547-01.txt
>>
>>>your draft does replace the l2tp signaling protocol with BGP, thus
>>>eliminating the need for l2tp signaling with the l2tp signaling
>>>protocol.
>>>
>>>Just tell us why BGP signaling is any better than l2tp signaling.
>>
>>I will say it again. (1) This is an application of 2547 which is already usin

>>BGP, and (2) L2TP needs to distribute a *single* PE Session/Cookie to be used
>
>  by
>
>>every participating 2547-PE for VPN traffic destined to that PE (much like a
>>single IP address is distributed to every participating PE for VPN traffic
>>destined to that PE).
>

> Are you saying that just because an application uses BGP, the application
> should use BGP, instead of l2tp for l2tp signaling ?
>
> Or you saying that only when both (1) *and* (2) hold, then the application
> should use BGP, instead of l2tp for l2tp signaling ?

The two reasons I gave above were motivations for the design of 2547 VPNs with
an L2TPv3 encapsulation, no more. I have no desire to extend this to a
generalized theorem (or continued rathole discussion) for when to use BGP or
L2TP signaling for all other possible applications, as I must say you seem to be
intent on doing with this thread.

>>>First of all I'd like to thank you for pointing that both
>>>draft-ietf-l3vpn-ipsec-2547-01.txt or draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-00.txt
>>>took a fairly narrow point of view. This is a bug, not a feature,
>>>and therefore it should be fixed.
>>
>>I have no problem with someone documenting how a VR-based VPN should work, bu

>>why do this in the same draft? Would you consider adding VR VPNs to 2547bis?
>

> Based on the feedback received so far on the mailing list, I do
> plan to generalize draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-00.txt.
>

>>>Second, the restriction on the applicability of your draft to 2547 is
>>>quite arbitrary.
>>
>>Hardly arbitrary.
>>

>>>That is, there are *no* technical justifications for this restriction.
>>
>>VRs and 2547 are different technical approaches, what technical justification
>>is there for putting them in the *same* document?
>

> Because from the l2tp point of view the procedures are exactly
> the same, whether it is 2547 or MPLS-based VR.

I am happy to work with you or anyone else interested in discussing the
technical details of this to determine whether it is indeed a good fit for the
same draft, or could exist separately without undue repetition.

- Mark