RE: MPLS over L2TPv3 encap for RFC 2547 VPNs

neil.2.harrison@bt.com Wed, 04 February 2004 09:31 UTC

From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
Subject: RE: MPLS over L2TPv3 encap for RFC 2547 VPNs
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:26:19 -0000
To: yakov@juniper.net, townsley@cisco.com
Cc: mpls@uu.net, l3vpn@ietf.org, richard.spencer@bt.com, benjamin.niven-jenkins@bt.com
Sender: l3vpn-admin@ietf.org

Yakov/Mark,

This discussion seems to have 2 major themes:
-	the appropriate functional use (or misuse) of protocols
-	security implications of functional protocol use (or misuse).

I would much prefer we split the VPN problem into its 3 major components (see below) and folks can use whichever protocol is considered the most appropriate to that component.  Further, and speaking as an operator, I'd like to see as much *appropriate* re-use of components across the 3 networking modes of co-cs, co-ps and cl-p as possible when creating VPNs so that I can get my capex/opex costs down....and this has impact through to the NMS/OSS supporting these.

Now when I look at the VPN problem I see 3 major component areas:

1	Discovery/authentication:  One needs a method of knowing which addressable access points of a given server layer technology belong to a given VPN.  A query/response behaviour seems most appropriate here, not a broadcast approach that one gets with BGP4.  So an approach based on Radius say seems a good solution here.

2	Server layer topology creation:  One needs a method of creating forwarding paths between the identified (from above) addressable access points of the server layer technology belonging to the VPN.  This needs a proper signalling protocol IMO and not a broadcast behaviour like BGP4.  Several signalling protocols could be used, and the selection is dependent upon which networking mode is being used for the server layer technology.  For example, if the server layer is IP (cl-ps mode) one can use L2TP (but I could also 'signal' the set-up of GRE tunnels say).  If the server layer is MPLS (co-ps mode) one can use RSVP-TE.....and in theory I could also use PNNI.  If the server layer is SDH (co-cs mode) one can again use RSVP-TE....or I could also use PNNI.

There are three important observations at this point:
-	within a given mode there can be more than 1 choice of signalling protocol....some signalling protocols have better functional specification/behaviour than others;
-	the use of an out-of-band (OOB), logical and/or physical, date-plane network for the important *internal* control/management traffic should be very high on any operator's requirements list for obvious security reasons.  So where this is possible this should be done (this should be a no-brainer requirement IMO for both the co-ps and co-cs modes);
-	if we stop the VPN creation process at steps 1 and 2 above we have the essence of automating the creation of a simple managed BW VPN is some technology.....some folk call these 'L2 VPNs', not a good term IMO but it is in general usage.

3	Client layer reachability information:  This is a component that can be added to the above 'L2 VPN' base-case to create a so-called 'L3 VPN'.  The type of client should not be prescriptive....and this is why it is architecturally wrong to assume 'L3 VPN'=> IP VPN, and why I think the term 'L3 VPN' is misleading.  Indeed, I recall seeing a draft from Chris Metz (draft-metz-switched-atm-l2vpn-00.txt) a while ago that was using a rfc2547 approach with BGP4 distributing ATM NSAP address reachability over MPLS as the server layer technology, ie ATM was the client in this 'L3 VPN'

Now here a limited broadcast functional behaviour is what is required to distribute information regarding which *client* layer access point addresses lie above/behind which *server* layer access point addresses....noting these are 2 disjoint layer networks.

It is my opinion that if folks started to regard VPNs in the above terms then much of the squabbling (eg 'my protocol is better than yours') could be avoided.  And we may also be able to provide operator's with better solutions in the future (esp noting my points on functional re-use to get capex/opex down and the use of an OOB control/management plane where this is appropriate to improve security).

regards, Neil