Re: Poll to adopt draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-spmsi-joins-00 as a L3VPN WG document

Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange-ftgroup.com> Tue, 27 April 2010 14:51 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:44:56 +0200
From: Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange-ftgroup.com>
To: l3vpn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Poll to adopt draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-spmsi-joins-00 as a L3VPN WG document

Ben, Colleagues,

The working group has recently submitted to the IESG a document that
highlights the drawbacks of the UDP-based S-PMSI signaling mechanism,
compared to the BGP-based S-PMSI signaling mechanism, and specifically
recommends against extending the UDP-based scheme for types of tunnels
beyond what is already covered by the base mVPN specs recently submitted
to the IESG [draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-considerations-06#section-3.2].
Nobody commented against this part of the document, even though the
document was debated in length on many other points.

Eric mentioned the promise made between co-authors of mVPN specs and an
A-D as a key argument to adopt the IPv6-related part of this draft, even
though this promise did not involve the working group.   By comparison,
strong and recent working group consensus to not extend the UDP-based
signaling to other types of P-tunnels, looks to me as a reason at least
as good to *not* adopt a document proposition such an extension.

So well, I don't think that adopting the document with section 3.1
should even be considered, and in any case I'm opposed the adoption of
the document if it includes that section.

-Thomas

benjamin.niven-jenkins@bt.com: