Re: Poll to adopt draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-spmsi-joins-00 as a L3VPN WG document

Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net> Tue, 27 April 2010 18:25 UTC

To: IJsbrand Wijnands <ice@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Poll to adopt draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-spmsi-joins-00 as a L3VPN WG document
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:18:43 -0700
From: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
Cc: Thomas Morin <thomas.morin@orange-ftgroup.com>, l3vpn@ietf.org

Ice,

> Thomas,
>
> > beyond what is already covered by the base mVPN specs recently submitted
> > to the IESG [draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-considerations-06#section-3.2].
> > Nobody commented against this part of the document, even though the
> > document was debated in length on many other points.
>
> There are many successful deployments of the UDP based mechanism and many of
> these customers don't even care to come to IETF to debate this. There
> is a perfectly valid deployment reason to allow a simple extension to
> the UDP based mechanism, even if it goes against your recommendation.

The recommendation is *not* just Thomas' recommendation - it is the
recommendation of the L3VPN WG. So, extending the UDP-based S-PMSI
signaling goes against recommendation of L3VPN WG !

While there is nothing that would force a particular service provider
to come to IETF and to participate in L3VPN WG, it does not mean
that L3VPN WG has to standardize every possible option that every
possible service provider may want.

Yakov.