Re: [ldapext] Fwd: Manual Post Requested for draft-howard-rfc2307bis

Ralf Haferkamp <rhafer@suse.de> Fri, 25 September 2009 08:55 UTC

To: Ldapext <ldapext@ietf.org>
From: Ralf Haferkamp <rhafer@suse.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:56:10 +0200
Subject: Re: [ldapext] Fwd: Manual Post Requested for draft-howard-rfc2307bis

Am Sonntag 09 August 2009 23:41:42 schrieb Howard Chu:
> I guess this will show up in a couple of days.
>
> Major differences from version 01 of the rfc2307bis document:
>
> 1) Added host and hostos attribute options to allow system-specific values
>  for attributes when needed. (E.g. to accommodate different homeDirectory
>  locations on various machines.)
>
> 2) Added integerOrderingMatch ORDERING rules to attributes with integer
> syntax. Admins frequently need to search for things like (uidNumber>=1000)
>  and the lack of the ORDERING rules was a great impediment.
>
> 3) Added new groupOfMembers structural objectclass with "member" as an
> optional attribute, to support groups with zero members. This class should
>  be used whenever a structural group class is needed. The use of
> groupOfUniqueNames (and groupOfNames) is deprecated.

I wonder if it might be better to leave details about which structural
objectclass should be used for groups out of this document. For implementors
it should be enough to know that "member" is used for group members and
"posixGroup" is the auxillary objectclass to look for.
The definition of groupOfMembers might then better be handled in a separate
document. As I think it is useful of other purposes than described here as
well.
Additionally I wonder if the "memberUid" Attribute should be removed
completely or at least be documented as being deprecated.

--
Ralf