[lemonade] List of open issues for IMAP NOTIFY

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Thu, 21 February 2008 14:52 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:51:55 +0000
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: Lemonade WG <lemonade@ietf.org>
Subject: [lemonade] List of open issues for IMAP NOTIFY
Sender: lemonade-bounces@ietf.org

Below is the list of major open issues with the document. There are some
other minor editorial questions which are not worth discussing at this
point.

1). Peter Coates has indicated that his implementation can't report
ExpungeMessage without NewMessage or vice versa. I've suggested that we
should probably combine NewMessage and ExpungeMessage into a single
event. So far I can't think of any disadvantage of this: for example if
the client would like to know about expunges (so it can handle VANISHED
reported at any time), then it is not a big deal to handle (or ignore)
notifications about new messages as well. If the client can't handle
expunges, then it wouldn't request either. If you can think of a use
case when a client would only want NewMessage, but can't handle
ExpungeMessage, please let me know.

Another way of handling this issue would be to allow the server to
announce that certain event types are bundled together. I am not sure if
the extra complexity on clients is worth it.

2). Whether BODY FETCH data item in the NOTIFY command (and the like)
should automatically set the \Seen flag on newly delivered/appended
messages if  it is specified in the NewMessage event.
The issue needs to be addressed. I prefer to have the same behavior as
in FETCH (for consistency), but I don't have a strong opinion on this.
Opinions?

3). Peter Coates has suggested that only the SELECTED mailbox matching
criteria should apply to the currently selected mailbox.
Currently the draft suggests that any mailbox matching criteria can
apply to the currently selected mailbox.

Speaking as an individual participant in the WG: as this is marginally
easier to implement for servers, I am now leaning toward accepting
Peter's proposal. Any objections?

4). Peter Coates has suggested removal of ADD/SET keyword in the NOTIFY
command, or restrict NOTIFY command to a single event-group.

Speaking as an individual participant in the WG: I think we want to
allow for at least 2 event groups (one for the currently selected
mailbox and one for all other mailboxes). But I can also see use cases
for different events on shared mailboxes, etc. If we have 2, a rule of
good design suggests that we should allow for any number.

Now, regarding SET versa ADD. If we allow for multiple event groups
above, this means that one need to store them in a server as a list
anyway. So restricting NOTIFY to a single event group is not going to
make NOTIFY easier to implement for servers.
I also see some arguments about ADD (e.g. now monitor this new mailbox).

So speaking as an individual, I would like to keep multiple event groups
and SET/ADD as is.
If you disagree, please speak up *now*.