Re: [lemonade] Comments on draft-ietf-lemonade-catenate-05.txt

Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com> Fri, 29 July 2005 20:44 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:34:59 -0700
To: Philip Guenther <guenther+lemonade@sendmail.com>
From: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: [lemonade] Comments on draft-ietf-lemonade-catenate-05.txt
Cc: presnick@qualcomm.com, Lemonade <lemonade@ietf.org>, iesg@ietf.org
Sender: lemonade-bounces@ietf.org

At 7:59 PM -0700 7/26/05, Philip Guenther wrote:

>  Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com> writes:
>>In Section 4 (Response Codes), do we really mean "may return a
>>response code"?  I think "SHOULD return a response code" would be
>>better, but in any case it is not clear if "may" is intended to be
>>normative.
>
>  The catenate draft does reference RFC 2119 or otherwise define
>  particular words in uppercase as having special normative meaning.
>  Changing that sentence to use "SHOULD" (or "MAY") would require many
>  other changes to the draft to keep it consistent.  On reflection, I
>  agree with the author's choice to use normal English prose and let the
>  words speak for themselves.  No, really, we can use the words "may",
>  "should", and "must" as other than normative baseball bats to beat
>  implementors with.

I hadn't noticed the lack of RFC 2119 reference.  Interesting to have
a standards-track document with no normative language.

By the way, I've written a few documents that use normative language,
and as far as I know have never used such language as a bat or other
implement of beating.

>  With regards to that particular sentence, I read it as being
>  descriptive, acting as an introduction to the subsections that follow.
>

>>In Section 4.1 (BADURL Response), it is not clear if "invalid" means
>>syntactically or semantically regarding UIDs and body parts.  That
>>is, is this response code to be used if the syntax is bad or if the
>>referenced item does not exist?
>
>  Given the first sentence of the subsection, it is obviously meant to
>  apply to *all* cases where a supplied URL cannot be resolved to a chunk
>  of text to include.  Perhaps the second sentence should be changed to
>  start "Some possible reasons..." to make it clear that the list is _not_
>  exhaustive.

OK.
--
Randall Gellens