Re: [lemonade] WGLC Notifications

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Sun, 15 June 2008 16:53 UTC

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:32:45 +0100
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Cc: lemonade@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [lemonade] WGLC Notifications
Sender: lemonade-bounces@ietf.org

Randall Gellens wrote:

> Woops!  Sprry for not sending this earlier.

Hi Randy,

> At 3:07 PM +0100 5/6/08, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>
>>  Eric Burger wrote:
>>
>>> Work Group Last Call for Lemonade Notifications Architecture,
>>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lemonade-notifications-08
>>> starts now and ends 5 May 2008.
>>
>>  The draft is in much better shape now.
>>
>>  Some comments below:
>>
>>>      *    NF and DF:  When internal to the mail store, these are
>>>
>>>      typically implemented using Sieve and hence a Sieve management
>>
>> >     protocol is used for client modifications.  See [IMAP-SIEVE] and
>> >     [MANAGE-SIEVE] for more information.  When the NF is within a
>>
>>>      notification server, it is out of scope of Lemonade.
>>
>>  I don't think [IMAP-SIEVE] is relevant in case of NF or DF.
>>  Unless NF is invoked on message flag changes, etc.
>
> I'm happy deleting the reference to IMAP-SIEVE, however, if a client
> is only interested in some mailboxes, rather than having a main Sieve
> script send notifications for all new mail, it might be better to have
> a per-mailbox Sieve script send notifications.

Per mailbox scripts are not invoked on message delivery, so IMAP-Sieve
is not going to help.
IMAP-Sieve will only matter for IMAP APPEND, but I think this is a less
common case than message delivery using SMTP/LMTP. Also APPENDs are
likely to be caused by the user herself, so there would be no much point
in notifying about them.

> How about changing
>     See [IMAP-SIEVE] and [MANAGE-SIEVE] for more information.

>     See [MANAGE-SIEVE] for more information.  Per-mailbox
>     notifications might be implemented using a per-mailbox Sieve
>     script, for example, [IMAP-SIEVE].
>
>>   >     Note that when implementing DF using Sieve, the 'enotify'
>>
>>>      [SIEVE-NOTIFY] and 'variables' [SIEVE-VARIABLES] Sieve extensions
>>>      are needed.
>>
>>   If NF is generating notifications on mail delivery, than 'enotify' +
>>  'variables' is also needed there.
>>  If NF is generating notifications both on mail delivery and IMAP
>> events,
>>  then 'enotify' + 'variables' are *only* needed in NF.
>
> I think I should change this to:
>
>     Note that when implementing DF or NF using Sieve, the 'enotify'
>     [SIEVE-NOTIFY] and likely the 'variables' [SIEVE-VARIABLES]
>     Sieve extensions might be needed.
>
> And move it to be above the line that starts "The filters are
> manageable" (since logically this belongs with the earlier text block).

Ok.

>>   > 4.  Push Email
>>
>>>         A good user experience of "push email" requires that when
>>>      "interesting" events occur in the mail store, the client is
>>> informed
>>>      so that it can connect and resynchronize.  The Lemonade Profile
>>>      [LEMONADE-PROFILE] contains more information, especially in
>>> Section
>>>      4.1.2.
>>
>> I can't find section 4.1.2 in draft-ietf-lemonade-profile-bis-08.txt.
>
> I suppose the text moved in a prior revision.  I think this should be
> changed to "External Notifications".

This is reasonable.