Re: [lisp] An Incremental Deployable Mapping Service Draft

Luigi Iannone <luigi@net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de> Sun, 19 July 2009 15:24 UTC

From: Luigi Iannone <luigi@net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de>
To: Chen Gang <phdgang@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:24:36 +0200
Cc: lisp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [lisp] An Incremental Deployable Mapping Service Draft

Hi,

my specific comments are inline.

Luigi

> [...]
>    while driving the packets to the destination through tunnels.  The
>    DHT MO serves as a supplement that provides specific mappings to
>    reduce the number of tunnels along the path to the destination.
> Note
>    that an ER can be deployed unilaterally in an AS for it's own
>    benefits and the DHT MO is unitedly built among ASes however
> whether
>    to join the MO is not compulsory to an AS (it can still benefit
> from
>    deploying the ER).
>
>    The remainder of this document is organized as follows: Section 2
>    provides the definitions of terms in this document.  Section 3
>    sketches an overview of the mapping service.  Section 4 describes
> how
>    an ITR handles the packets.  Section 5 describes how to utilize
>    current BGP system in the mapping service.  Section 6 describes how
>    the EID Router mechanism works, and Section 7 describes how to
> build
>    the DHT Mapping Overlay and how to retrieve mappings in it.  And
>    Section 8 shows the steps for deploying the mapping service
>    incrementally.
>

> Chen, et al.            Expires January 12, 2010
> [Page 3]
> Internet-Draft                    ER+MO                        July
> 2009
>

> 2.  Definition of Terms
>
>    Mapping:  an EID-to-ELOC mapping.
>
>    EID aggregated prefix:  an aggregated prefix which covers some EID
>       blocks.
>
>    EID+RLOC aggregated prefix:  an aggregated prefix which covers some
>       EID block(s) and RLOC(s).
>
>    EID Router (ER):  a new introduced router which keeps entries to
> all
>       EID aggregated prefixes.
>
>    Mapping Node (MN):  an entity used for storing a mapping.  Each MN
>       holds and can only hold one mapping, and each mapping is related
>       to only one MN.  It can be implemented as a process in a MS,
> which
>       has a data structure to store the mapping as well as the ability
>       to manage and retrieve the mappings.
>
>    Master Mapping Node (MMN):  a chosen Mapping Node used to be the
>       representative among redundant MNs.  It is in charge of
> initiating
>       mapping query and exchanging mappings.
>
>    Mapping Server (MS):  a server specified to physically store
>       mappings.  Each MS can hold more than one Mapping Nodes.
>
>    Mapping Overlay (MO):  a DHT overlay, which is designed for storing
>       the distributed mapping information.  Only one MO exists among
>       ISPs in the Internet.

> Chen, et al.            Expires January 12, 2010
> [Page 4]
> Internet-Draft                    ER+MO                        July
> 2009
>

> 3.  Overview
>
>    The mechanism described in this draft aims:
>
>    o  to eliminate all forwarding entries to distant customer ASes

What's a "P router"? It is nto defined in section 2.

>    o  to eliminate the forwarding entries, targeted to distant
> customer
>       ASes not behind the border routers, in the border routers;

This is still unclear to me.

>    o  to be deployed incrementally;
>
>    o  to help reduce the number of tunnels.

Which tunnels? LISP tunnels? MO tunnels?

>    To achieve the four aims above, the mechanism described in this
> draft
>    mainly comprises of the following two parts:
>
>    o  EID Router (ER) mechanism for non-cached packets tunneling, and
>
>    o  DHT Mapping Overlay (MO) as a supplement, which provides
> specific
>       mappings to reduce tunneling cost.
>
>    The EID Router mechanism is designed for the first three aims, and
>    the DHT MO is designed for the last aim.
>
>    In EID Router mechanism, by manually or automatically setting the
>    default route to an ER (each AS at least has one ER), all
> forwarding
>    entries to distant customer ASes in P routers, and a part of
>    forwarding entries (targeted to distant customer ASes not behind
> the
>    border routers) in the border routers can be eliminated.
>
>    The current running Border Gateway Protocol [RFC4271] is mainly
>    utilized to propagate mappings through the current running BGP
>    speaking system.  The most important reason to use the current
>    running BGP speaking system is to make the deployment backward
>    compatible, so that incremental deployment can be achieved.
>
>    The DHT Mapping Overlay can help reduce the number of tunnels which
>    result from deploying the ER mechanism.  It is optional for ISPs
> and
>    only needs a little investment on it.
>

> Chen, et al.            Expires January 12, 2010
> [Page 5]
> Internet-Draft                    ER+MO                        July
> 2009
>

> 4.  When an ITR meets packets
>
>    When an ITR receives a packet originated from a customer site, it
>    checks whether a copy of mapping exists in its cache first.
>
>    If the mapping exists, the ITR encapsulates the packet in a LISP
>    header, putting the RLOC extracted from the mapping onto the outer
>    destination address, meanwhile selecting one of the ITR's RLOC as
> the
>    outer source address.
>
>    Else if cache misses (i.e., no relevant copy of mapping exists in
> the
>    ITR), two concurrent events occur:
>
>    o  Data Plane Traffic: the packet simply follows a default route
>       preset manually or automatically to an ER in current AS.
> Since ER
>       knows whole global mapping information, it can forward every
>       packet to the right ETR by encapsulating the packet in LISP
> header
>       with the ITR's RLOC in the outer source address and the ETR's
> RLOC
>       in the outer destination address.

 From this I understand that the ER is very similar to the Default
Mapper defined in APT. Is it correct?

>    o  Control Plane Traffic: the ITR sends a Mapping Query to its
>       default Mapping Server (MS) in the AS.  And then a mapping
> LOOKUP
>       process (details of mapping lookup process are shown in
> Section 7)
>       is launched in the Mapping Overlay (MO) by the Master Mapping
> Node
>       (MMN) of the ITR.  After the MMN receives a copy of queried
>       mapping from the MO, it returns the copy to the ITR which
>       initiated the Mapping Query, and is cached for a period of time.

If the AS has at least one ER containing all the mappings, why not
querying the ER and retrieve the mapping from there?

> Chen, et al.            Expires January 12, 2010
> [Page 6]
> Internet-Draft                    ER+MO                        July
> 2009
>

> 5.  Utilization of current BGP system

This part about BGP is very difficult for me to understand. You are
not using another instance of BGP (like ALT) you are using same
instance of BGP used to propagate routing information to propagate
mappings, right?

BGP follows a push model, does it mean that all mappings are
propagated to all BGP speakers? In this case why the MO is needed?

> [...]
>    requirement, which means ASes deployed new mechanism must work
> along
>    with those not deployed ones, it is necessary to design mapping
>    service inherently adaptable for the current running BGP system
>    (i.e., the BGP system we use for basic routing and forwarding
> today).
>
>    The BGP in the mapping service has two functions: to obtain the
>    mappings automatically, and to propagate mappings to ERs in other
>    ASes.  They're both based on current running BGP system.
>
> 5.1.  Automatic Mapping obtainment and storage
>
>    When an customer AS advertise an BGP UPDATE message to homed (no
>    matter single-homed or multi-homed) provider AS which is deployed
> the
>    DHT mapping server described in Section 7, the provider AS would
> set
>    or update the relevant mapping information according to the
>    advertised route to the customer AS.  The announced prefix is treat
>    as the EID in the mapping <EID, RLOC> and the address of the ETR
>    which directly receives BGP announcement from the customer AS is
>    chosen as the RLOC.
>
>    This mapping could be stored both in MN (Mapping Node) and ER (EID
>    Router) concurrently.  In the former case, one mapping refers to
> one
>    MN and vice versa as described in Section 7.  However in the latter
>    case, the mapping is not only stored in the ER in current provider
>    AS, but also propagated to distant provider ASes by BGP
>    advertisements and stored in ERs at those ASes.
>
>    Note that the mappings obtained so far are original specific
>    mappings.  In DHT MO, these original specific mappings are stored
> on
>    MNs and no changes on mapping granularity.  However in ER
> mechanism,
>    during the mapping propagation by BGP, mapping granularity is
> changed
>    once a prefix aggregation occurs in an AS (details are shown in
>    Section 5.2).
>
> 5.2.  Mapping propagation by BGP
>
>    BGP speakers work as what they act today, in addition that mapping
>    information is affiliated in BGP UPDATE message.  Each BGP
> speaker on
>

> Chen, et al.            Expires January 12, 2010
> [Page 7]
> Internet-Draft                    ER+MO                        July
> 2009
>

>    the route SHALL keep the originality of the mappings (i.e., the
>    mappings stay untouched during propagation), except that it
>    aggregates some prefixes into one.  New mapping SHOULD be formed
> when
>    such aggregation occurs, in which case both EID and RLOC in mapping
>    <EID, RLOC> are updated, that EID is set to the new aggregated EID
>    block which covers more prefixes while RLOC is set to the address
> of
>    either ER (if ER is deployed) or border router (if no ER is

How you can do this aggregation? Different EID can have different
RLOCs, how you deal with that?

Further, multihoming is introducing a lot of de-aggregation in BGP,
how you can avoid the same situation in your case?

>    Note that since aggregation is permitted during the mapping
>    propagation, the number of mappings stored on the ERs would be far
>    more less than the number of mappings stored in the MO.

> Chen, et al.            Expires January 12, 2010
> [Page 8]
> Internet-Draft                    ER+MO                        July
> 2009
>

> 6.  EID Router mechanism
>
> 6.1.  Address aggregation policy
>
>    All addresses from edge customer ASes can be seen as the EIDs.  EID
>    prefixes can be aggregated to EID aggregated prefix.  Moreover we
>    allow EIDs to be aggregated with RLOCs to EID+RLOC aggregated
> prefix.
>    For example, suppose two EID blocks 166.111.8/24 and 166.111.9/24
>    belong to two customer ASes homed to a provider AS which has some
>    RLOCs range from 166.111.10/24 to 166.111.11/24, the provider AS
> can
>    aggregate either to an EID aggregated prefix 166.111.8/23 or to an
>    EID+RLOC aggregated prefix 166.111.8/22.

Here you are merging what LISP tries to split: EID and RLOCs. Isn't
this dangerous?

Also, you lose information. How to distinguish in 166.111.8/22 which
part is EID and which is RLOC?

> [...]
>    speaker, and only loads the forwarding entries to all EID
> aggregated
>    prefixes.  Note that the EID+RLOC aggregated prefixes don't have to
>    be loaded in EID Routers, since the RLOCs in the EID+RLOC
> aggregated
>    prefixes are supposed be reachable (i.e., forwarding entries to
> these
>    prefixes should be preserved in the P routers).
>
>    So the ideal situation becomes:
>
>    o  the EID Routers load the forwarding entries to all EID
> aggregated
>       prefixes,
>
>    o  the P routers load the forwarding entries to all RLOCs and all
>       EID+RLOC aggregated prefixes, and
>
>    o  the border routers load the forwarding entries to all RLOCs and
>       the prefixes (i.e., EID aggregated prefixes and EID+RLOC
>       aggregated prefixes) of the distant ASes behind the border
>       routers.
>
>    So due to deploying the EID Router mechanism, P routers and border
>    routers can get their FIB (Forwarding Information Base) size
> reduced.
>
> 6.3.  When an ER meets packets
>
>    When an ER receives a packet, it matches the destination address
> with
>    entries in its forwarding table (that can be seen as the mapping
>    table).  Since the ER holds whole mapping table (from its angle of
>    view), this packet can be encapsulated in a LISP header and sent
> out.
>    The tunnel end point may be one of the following four kinds of
>    routers:
>

> Chen, et al.            Expires January 12, 2010
> [Page 9]
> Internet-Draft                    ER+MO                        July
> 2009
>

>    o  the border router of the peering AS on the path to the
>       destination, in which case aggregation occurs in this peering AS
>       or this peering AS didn't pass the mapping information to the
>       current AS.
>
>    o  the border router of the non-peering AS on the path to the
>       destination, in which case aggregation occurs in this non-
> peering
>       AS.
>
>    o  the EID Router of a distant AS (either peering or non-peering)
> on
>       the path to the destination, in which case the downstream AS
>       didn't pass the mapping information to this distant AS so that
> the
>       ER in this distant AS created a new mapping (the ER's RLOC is
> set
>       in the mapping).
>
>    o  the destination ETR, in which case the originality of the
> mapping
>       is maintained.

> Chen, et al.            Expires January 12, 2010               [Page
> 10]
> Internet-Draft                    ER+MO                        July
> 2009
>

> 7.  Supplementary DHT Mapping Overlay (MO)

This section is again unclear to me. Probably I lack of background on
Kademlia, but still....