Re: [lisp] Alvaro Retana's Discuss on draft-ietf-lisp-type-iana-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Tue, 31 January 2017 08:12 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, Alvaro Retana <aretana@cisco.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 08:12:28 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Cc: "lisp-chairs@ietf.org" <lisp-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-lisp-type-iana@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-lisp-type-iana@ietf.org>, "lisp@ietf.org" <lisp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [lisp] Alvaro Retana's Discuss on draft-ietf-lisp-type-iana-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Alvaro, all,

I confirm that the intended status is Experimental. Joel already explained why the WG wanted to create this registry now.

See more inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] What about adding this NEW text:

   Some LISP extensions that make use of the LISP shared extension
   message type may become eligible for an assigned LISP packet type
   (Section 5.1).  Once a LISP packet type is assigned to such LISP
   extension, an implementation SHOULD NOT use the LISP shared
   extension message type.

   To ensure backward compatibility during a transition period, an
   implementation MAY support a configuration parameter to instruct
   whether the LISP extension using the shared extension message is to
   be sent simultaneously with the LISP extension message using the
   assigned LISP packet type.  The default value of that configuration
   parameter is to disable sending both messages.  The use of the two
   message formats increases backward compatibility, but it has some
   implications on the LISP control load.  Such implications are
   expected to be limited in time and are fully under the control of the
   entity operating a LISP domain.

> > b. The IANA Considerations Section says that "The value 15 is reserved
> > for Experimental Use [RFC5226]."  But it is being assigned to the new
> > LISP Shared Extension Message.

[Med] I deleted that sentence.