Re: [lmap] LMAP: Voluntary or compulsory?

Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org> Mon, 11 March 2013 15:31 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:31:45 -0400
To: "Bugenhagen, Michael K" <Michael.K.Bugenhagen@centurylink.com>
Cc: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "lmap@ietf.org" <lmap@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [lmap] LMAP: Voluntary or compulsory?

+1

IMO the LMAP framework should be able to accommodate all of the modes of operation that Mike describes: (1) customers voluntary signing up to join a panel that incurs ongoing measurements over time, (2) operators conducting measurements across entire customer segments or all customers, and (3) customers triggering their own measurement tests at will. Depending on the data collected, out-of-band mechanisms for informing customers about the measurements taking place and for obtaining customer sign-up (case 1) or consent (case 2) will likely be required/desired.

Alissa