[lmap] Standardize behaviors for test environments - lmap framework and IPPM registries.

"Bugenhagen, Michael K" <Michael.K.Bugenhagen@centurylink.com> Tue, 22 April 2014 17:25 UTC

From: "Bugenhagen, Michael K" <Michael.K.Bugenhagen@centurylink.com>
To: "'MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)'" <acmorton@att.com>, "'lmap@ietf.org'" <lmap@ietf.org>, "'philip.eardley@bt.com'" <philip.eardley@bt.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:25:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [151.117.206.8]
Cc: 'MARCELO BAGNULO BRAUN' <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>, "Cook, Charles" <Charles.Cook2@centurylink.com>
Subject: [lmap] Standardize behaviors for test environments - lmap framework and IPPM registries.

Al, Phil,

   In order to execute a test we need consistant MA behavior "about" or when different test environment variables are encountered.

As Al pointed out, we have some "information model" objects that call out different environmental conditions -

First -  We need to identify those with definitions vs. just objects.

Secondly - but very possibly more challenging -

	How do we take those "environmental" attributes and define the test behavior around those when the test being used is in a registry.

Example case ...

Test A = throughput
Test B = latency
Environmental x = cross traffic.

Behaviors of the test with the environmental...
For Test A ---  terminate a test when environmental "x" is detected, then mark the test as terminated due to "environment x".
For Test B ---  record environmental "x" during test b.

What this indicates to me is that we need a very Standard Test Execution string that details out all the environmental with Codified "behavior" codes as to what the MA does during and after the test when it experiences a environmental..

	More problematically operationally reaction to things like cross traffic generally doesn't use "lab like" absolutes like "zero cross traffic" so we will also have some fuzzy logic (thresholds) in our environmental definitions.

So - Cap statement....
At the end of the day it looks like we still need a standardized (about environmental) test instruction set that is implemented the same across the board.   Both from a Attribute, and behavior aspect.

This constitutes a Gap that needs to be fixed.

Regards,
Mike