Re: [Lsr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lsr-pce-discovery-security-support-01.txt

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Tue, 04 June 2019 04:09 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>, "lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 04:09:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.134.31.203]
Subject: Re: [Lsr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lsr-pce-discovery-security-support-01.txt

Hi, Les:
-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) [mailto:ginsberg@cisco.com]
发送时间: 2019年6月3日 22:54
收件人: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>; lsr@ietf.org

Qin -

Thanx for the prompt response.

[Les:] Yes - I had noted Julien's post in my search of the archives. But he was making comments as an individual on the content of the draft. I do not see that he was making any comment regarding the position of the PCE WG.
I am wondering if in the intervening 6 months the PCE WG has taken a position on this.
[Qin]: I will send an email to PCE to get feedback on this draft in a separate email.

> 2)As discussed during the adoption call, the draft removes the
> restriction specified in RFC 5088/5089 of not allowing further PCE
> related advertisements in Router Capability TLV/Router Information LSA.
> Acee had mentioned that he thought this was no longer a concern
> because in RFC 7770 multiple OSPF Router Information LSA support was
> introduced. But this is really not relevant to the reason that the
> restriction was originally introduced.
>
> The restriction was introduced because of general concern that using
> IGPs to advertise information not directly relevant to the operation
> of the IGP as a routing protocol is sub-optimal and negatively impacts
> the performance of the primary IGP functions.
> [Qin]: It seems your argument also applies to RFC5088/5089.

[Les:] Indeed - which is why the limitation of "this much and no more" was put into RFC 5088/5089.

[Qin]:I think it is useful to carry such PCED info via IGP for discovery when PCEP session hasn't been setup.
I am not sure this is limitation or we should prevent this.

> I am aware that this is a line that has been crossed (in modest ways)
> more than once - and I am not categorically opposing the extensions
> proposed - but I do wonder if this is the most appropriate way to
> advertise the new attributes - particularly since this does not solve
> the general case - it only applies when the PCE is also an LSR. I
> think a broader discussion of this issue is warranted.
> [Qin]: Sure, but RFC5088/89 has already provide way to carry additional info.
> We could use some other out-band mechanism to carry additional info
> beyond PCED sub-TLVs defined in RFC5088/89, but do you think 1. use
> one protocol to convey all information needed 2. use two protocol to
> convey information separately Which one is optimal?

[Les:] What are you going to do when the PCE is not also an LSR?
My concern is two fold:

1)That we further use the IGPs to carry non-IGP information.
(Again - this would not be the first time - but we should do this carefully.)
[Qin]: I believe you raise a generic topic, not limited to this draft, my point we should case by case.
2)That in cases where the PCE is NOT an LSR this extension would be of no use - so it seems you will have to define an alternate means of signaling this info anyway.
[Qin]: Key-ID and Key Chain Name piggybacked via PCED sub TLV is really generic information. I feel carrying them via PCED sub TLV is a better way, in my opinion.

> 3)If the draft goes forward in its current form, it updates RFC
> 5088/5089 in a significant way (the removal of restriction against
> additional PCE related IGP
> advertisements) - in which case I wonder if it would be better to
> write an RFC
> 5088/89 bis document rather than an extension document.
> [Qin]: We don't' have too many changes going to RFC5088/89, so it is
> expense to make bis document, it is cheaper to leverage RFC updates attribute tool.

[Les:] Given that the draft contradicts what is written in RFC 5088/5089, by writing a bis draft readers do not have to consult two different documents to get the full story.
The "extra work" is modest because you simply cut and paste the original text and then make the necessary modifications and additions.

I am not insisting on this - but asking you to consider it - as it would make life easier for future readers.
[Qin]:Thanks, will think about it.
   Les