Re: [Lsr] WG Last Call fo "IS-IS Flood Reflection"-draft-ietf-lsr-isis-flood-reflection-05

Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org> Thu, 13 January 2022 11:39 UTC

From: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>
To: Tony Przygienda <tonysietf@gmail.com>
Cc: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee@cisco.com>, "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>, Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>, Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>, lsr@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 06:21:19 -0500
Subject: Re: [Lsr] WG Last Call fo "IS-IS Flood Reflection"-draft-ietf-lsr-isis-flood-reflection-05

Tony Przygienda <tonysietf@gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder whether this is now a general rule for all future ISIS
> drafts suggesting extensions or a one off random thing and we can
> come up for future drafts with arbitrary list of related drafts that
> we will precondition to gate publish/acceptance/whatever ...
>
> just trying to figure out what the process is here ...

Well since he was "Speaking as a document shepherd", it can't be a new general rule, b/c document shepherds don't get to set general rules for a WG. :)

I sense some frustration here, though.

As a WG, we generally haven't advanced multiple solutions like we have in this case. So, I don't think we can talk about any sort of previously existing standard process. And with my WG chair hat on I'll say: I hope we don't repeat this method very often in the future.

As WG Member: I didn't intend to pause forward progress when I originally asked if any guidance had been captured to help users select between the multiple options. It was just a natural thing to ask when you mentioned that certain network designs lined up better with one solution or the other.

Thanks,
Chris.