Re: [Ltru] Tagging of silent films (was: Re: el truth?)

Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com Tue, 27 September 2005 17:49 UTC

From: Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Tagging of silent films (was: Re: el truth?)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:28:48 -0700
Cc: ltru-bounces@ietf.org, ltru@ietf.org
Sender: ltru-bounces@ietf.org

I discussed whether to request a formal tag for this usage with the MPA.
We figured if we registered it, we would need to dilute the meaning to
make it more global and define it, as Peter suggests, as "no linguistic
content" or "no language present."

But this is semantically different from "silent," which is very specific
to our industry. Consider the difference between a silent film -- defined
as a film with an actor mouthing words that features title cards to
indicate what the actor is saying -- to films like Baraka, Koyaanisqatsi,
and the Triplets of Belleville, which feature no language at all.
(Belleville does have songs in French, but that's slightly different.)
Also, the Library of Congress genre list defines "actuality" films as
those early films that wowed viewers by merely showing a train entering a
station. These latter examples would fall under the "no language present"
classification, but not the "silent" classification.

In other words, it's possible we may need both tags -- silent AND no
language present.

I don't consider silent to be a modal classification -- spoken, written,
and signed are modes. And I'll even admit this is a somewhat impure use of
language data. (Another reason why I don't think this should be
registered.) Ideally, this metadata should be a boolean value. Silent or
not silent. But within our industry, for compliance with external
standards and product definition, we must define this as a language.

I think und-silent is an oxymoron. If it's undetermined, how do you know
it's silent? You've determined that the film features an actor mouthing
the words, and you may have defined the title cards as being in French,
English, or Sio. That doesn't seem undetermined to me. (If you don't mind,
I'd prefer to gloss over the lipreaders issue.)

At present, we have no plans to register this tag and prefer to use "qsi"
over "x-silent." I do think if the private use tags cannot be used for
this purpose, what good are they? Do you really want me to request formal
tags for both "silent" and "no language present"? That's my potential
business need. That could set a precedent for other weird tags from other
industries to enter the registry. Silent seems very industry-specific to
me and this seemed to be an appropriate use case for the private use tag.

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer
Sony Pictures Entertainment
310.244.4384