Re: [Ltru] Editorial fix

Marion Gunn <mgunn@egt.ie> Thu, 17 April 2008 08:28 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:28:25 +0100
From: Marion Gunn <mgunn@egt.ie>
Cc: 'LTRU Working Group' <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Editorial fix
Sender: ltru-bounces@ietf.org

To a terminologist, noticing that the word "usually" has been inserted
in a definition usually sets an alarm light going to indicate that the
definition in question is most probably intrinsically false or weak (or
otherwise unstable) so, although I have been recently been reluctant to
offer specific comments on the level of language used in this document,
largely because my asking technicians to supply definitions of their own
chosen technical terms at the very start of this work got me mostly
criticism, :-(  here goes:

'Apart from the exception(s) specifically listed at [state where], a
language tag consists of a "primary language" subtag and a (possibly
empty) series of subsequent subtags whose sole purpose is to refine or
narrow the range of languages identified by the overall tag.'

I would also hold that this kind of 'fix' is too important to be classed
as merely 'editorial', as it changes a major concept on which the
validity or otherwise of the whole document depends.
mg

Scríobh Mark Davis:

--

Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)