[Lwip] The LWIG Challenge

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Thu, 03 July 2014 08:35 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 10:34:58 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: lwip@ietf.org
Subject: [Lwip] The LWIG Challenge

Hi all,

I have read draft-ietf-lwig-cellular-01,
draft-ietf-lwig-energy-efficient-00, and I have worked on the TLS
document myself.

There is a common problem among all these documents: they are confusing
because they have no clear reference point and some of the relevant and
interesting content is not typically part of the IETF work (such as
implementation, and hardware).

Covering the topic in a generic fashion just does not work.

What can be done to provide some useful input to the reader?

I believe at least one thing could be done is to focus on selected,
well-known design patterns. What do I mean by that? Take a look at the
DTLS profile document in DICE (see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dice-profile-01#section-3) or at
my presentation at the ACE interim meeting.

I picked one (only one) communication pattern and explained the
assumptions. Then, from there you can give very specific advice about
what to do.

Of course, energy efficiency of network communication is only one small
item developers will care about and energy efficiency is a particularly
hard topic since most of the relevant aspects are outside the scope of
the IETF. The IETF draft format is probably not the right tool to convey
that information either.

Just to give you an idea what practical help with regard to energy
efficiency I would be looking for.

I have a Nordic nRF51822-mKIT board
http://www.nordicsemi.com/eng/Products/Bluetooth-Smart-Bluetooth-low-energy/nRF51822-mKIT/(language)/eng-GB

What parameter settings could I pick (that have impact on energy
consumption) using mbed (which provides the OS and the protocol stack)
for a few common Bluetooth Smart deployment scenarios / communication
patterns?

This is obviously nothing you would put in an IETF draft but I fear that
this is the type of info people care about.

Ciao
Hannes