[Lwip] Francesca Palombini's Abstain on draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations-23: (with COMMENT)

Francesca Palombini via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 02 February 2023 10:13 UTC

From: Francesca Palombini via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations@ietf.org, lwig-chairs@ietf.org, lwip@ietf.org, Mohit Sethi <mohit.m.sethi@ericsson.com>, mohit.m.sethi@ericsson.com
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 02:13:58 -0800
Subject: [Lwip] Francesca Palombini's Abstain on draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations-23: (with COMMENT)

Francesca Palombini has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations-23: Abstain

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations/

COMMENT:

I concur with others' ballots about this not being in scope for lwig, and I am
not sure why it was not instead moved to CFRG as it was originally suggested by
Magnus. Giving the history and the several reviews from the crypto panel I will
not block, but I don't think it is correct to ballot No Objection. A couple of
points below.

As Roman noted in his COMMENT (which could be raised to a DISCUSS level IMO):
the IANA requested values that are in the Standards Action With Expert Review
range should not be assigned, since this is an Informational. I trust that the
responsible AD, the DE for the registries and IANA will pay attention to that.

Thanks to Erik Thormarker for his review; Erik raised the two points below:

* What is the reason for the y-coordinate of the basepoint for Wei25519
(appendix E in draft) to be in this document the inverse of the basepoint of
W-25519 in NIST draft 186-5?

* Clarification question: why would someone want to use ECDSA with Wei25519
instead of P-256? Has this been clarified in the document?

Francesca