[Lwip] Paul Wouters' No Objection on draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations-23: (with COMMENT)

Paul Wouters via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 02 February 2023 13:19 UTC

From: Paul Wouters via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations@ietf.org, lwig-chairs@ietf.org, lwip@ietf.org, Mohit Sethi <mohit.m.sethi@ericsson.com>, mohit.m.sethi@ericsson.com
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 05:19:08 -0800
Subject: [Lwip] Paul Wouters' No Objection on draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations-23: (with COMMENT)

Paul Wouters has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations-23: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lwig-curve-representations/

COMMENT:

I fully support Roman's DISCUSS. I also agree with Lars, which is the
reason I'm balloting No Objection.

I feel the document is not telling the full story of the price to pay
for this code re-use effort.  After all, Section 10 and 12 is requesting
code points  JOSE / COSE, so this effort is not simply something that
is limited in scope to implementaton details. There is a price to
facilitate this.  The reason I am not objecting to the code points, is
that the registry defines a range for non-standard track "specification
required" entries. But I agree with Roman that these entries cannot have
"Recommended: Y".
   NOTE 2: At this point, it is unclear whether a FIPS-accredited module
   implementing the co-factor Diffie-Hellman scheme with, e.g., P-256
   would also extend this accreditation to the Montgomery versions
   X25519+ or X25519.  (For cryptographic module validation program
   guidance, see, e.g., [FIPS-140-2].)

This note should be re-evaluated as it is based on FIPS-140-2 which was
obsoleted by FIPS-140-3 about 4 years ago. If the note is still valid,
the reference should be updated.

   Note that storage would have reduced to a single 64-byte table if only the
   Curve25519 curve would have been generated so as to be isomorphic to
   a Weierstrass curve with hardcoded a=-3 parameter (this corresponds
   to l=1).

This feels like aimed at a discussion and/or implementer that is not in scope
for this document.

The Privacy Considerations text feels out of scope for this document.

Open IANA Expert issue:

Expert comments: OIDs have been approved. JOSE experts had approved
version 12, but new reviews are pending. A COSE expert writes that he
hasn't seen a detailed response to his February review and adds, "As I
remember the overall conclusion the COSE WG meeting Feb 17 confirmed
that registrations should follow current practice, and that, e.g.,
ES256K is an exception not to be followed."