Re: [manet] draft-ietf-manet-nhdp - WGLC - ends Feb 3rd

"Ian Chakeres" <ian.chakeres@gmail.com> Fri, 01 February 2008 12:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 17:43:00 +0530
From: Ian Chakeres <ian.chakeres@gmail.com>
To: manet <manet@ietf.org>
Cc: Christopher Dearlove <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>, "Thomas Heide Clausen (work)" <T.Clausen@computer.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] draft-ietf-manet-nhdp - WGLC - ends Feb 3rd
Sender: manet-bounces@ietf.org

Overall I think the document is in good shape.

I have included my detailed comments on the document below.

Ian Chakeres

Note: I have a few other issues that I will raise in separate emails.

===
Please qualify all uses of - this/these. In several places these words
(this/these) are left hanging with an object.

3rd paragraph of Section 1 is redundant.

Address, with prefix length, should be added to the terminology. This
change would result in less redundancy within the text.

Section 3 - I found the applicability statement a little hard to read
given its bulletized form, but generally agree with the content.

I think bullets 3 can be cut.

Bullet 4 - I feel that this specification should recommend using UDP, and not
specify using the IP protocol number. As Teco has brought up - passing
PacketBB packets directly over IP will likely require some additional
functionality.

Bullet 5 - the second sentence can be cut.

Section 4

/is,/is/

cut " of which ... may be a part"

/Discovers links from adjacent nodes/Discover adjacent nodes/ OR
/Discover links between adjacent nodes/

I am not sure if there is a difference between signaling and
exchanging control messages. Either way, it might be good to remove
signaling or define it.

Section 4.1. I think the last paragraph can be cut.

Section 4.1. I think the term "configured" interface should be
added/referenced. Essentially, I see no reason why NHDP needs to
participate on all possible MANET interfaces. I also see no reason
why NHDP needs to advertise all its interfaces. I think the NHDP
process should be cap cable of operating on less than all physical
interfaces if so configured. This may affect text in other locations.

Section 4.3.1 - When would jittering of hello messages be
"appropriate". Perhaps "SHOULD be used if appropriate" could simply be
removed.

Section 4.3.1 last sentence. I feel the last sentence could be cut.

Section 4.3.2 - Can a default value for VALIDITY TIME be set on nodes
themselves or does it need to be included in every message?

/thsi/this - I think this was reported before

Section 4.3.3 - In several places within the document the constraints
have been placed inline. Why are the constraints for this section
placed in an appendix?

Section 5.4 seems useless. I think C should be defined early on,
perhaps with discussion of VALIDITY_TIME and INTERVAL_TIME.

Section 9.2 last sentence, please place "Afterward," before the start
of the sentence.

Section 9.3 last sentance, please place "Afterward," before the start
of the sentance.

Section 10. I think that bullets 3&4 should be deleted.

The document should specified that the IP.TTL/HopLimit of the
containing packet be set to 255. GTSM methods (RFC 5082) should also
be used for HELLO packets.

Again, I think we should recommend using UDP right now. In the future
we can specify some additional mechanisms for moving packetbb packets
directly over an IP protocol number.

Section 10.1.1 - Please remove or explain the purpose of UNSPEC_IF.

Please change places that say 8-bits to 1-octet. I believe packetbb
only allows octet based values.

If valid messages are received, but they contain duplicate information
how should they be handled? For example, they contain the same address
twice. Perhaps, I missed the mention of handling well-formed but
bad-content messages.

Section 12 is the order of performing the various updates described in
this section important?

Section 13.1 - there is a hanging "are removed." please pull this up
with the previous sentance. I think that sentance can even be pulled
up with the one above it.

Section 13. I became a little confused by the bullets and their
depth. Is there a common scheme to the various bullet styles used? For
example, numbers ordered checks, + secondary checks, - set something,
o event.

Section 13.2 please add OR or AND following "contained in
N_neighbor_iface_addr_list;".

Section 14. I support Omprakash's proposed addition regarding using
unicast success/failure rates.

Section 14.3 - the last sentance in this section is contained in
parenthesis is very complex and not well structured. Please revise it.

Section 14.6 - it might be nice to reference
VALIDITY_TIME/INTERVAL_TIME and the TimeTLV spec in this section. I
think it would be good to explicitly say that C MUST be set the same
on all nodes here.

Section 16, I was confused about how appendix C provides protection. I
think we discussed this briefly once, but I think a little more text
could help.

Section 16. I think there should be some mention of authentication as
all the information contained in HELLO messages should likely be
authenticated in more secure environments.

Section 17.2. Why are all Type extensions reserved? I think these
should be left open for allocation via standard actions. I believe
that is what is recommended, but the term RESERVED seems to indicate
otherwise. I would suggest removing these RESERVED spaces.

Appendix B - /by IP/by the IP header/

Appendix C in the list following Lost Neighbor Table - the third
bullet has some spacing problems - please fix if possible, since "==
true" falls onto the next page.

Appendix D - I think that this section should be re-named "HELLO message
Generation Rate" and be elevated to a normal section.
===