Re: [manet] AODVv2: Security considerations update

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com> Fri, 19 February 2016 15:52 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Lotte Steenbrink <lotte.steenbrink@fu-berlin.de>, "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:52:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Subject: Re: [manet] AODVv2: Security considerations update

I would say that in the interests of transparency, a lot more should appear on list. Of course there’s no need - until later stages - to discuss every editorial nit on list, but basic decisions should have been discussed here before now, and responses to comments received (I’ve never had responses to all my comments).

On this posting, it’s not exactly true that

   Encryption will not only make it more difficult for unauthorized devices to obtain
   information about network topology but will also ensure that only trusted
   routers participate in routing operations:

What ensure the latter is not encryption, but authentication. It is true that one should generally not use encryption without authentication, and there are some algorithms that do both together. Nevertheless I think it’s both useful and important to assign the right properties to each.

There’s then the practical issue that with a shared secret key, encryption and authentication are both (relatively) easy. But if you want a solution that isn’t that (because that has various drawbacks) then authentication is more manageable than encryption. For example draft-ietf-manet-ibs has a scheme (not of course the only possible one) for authentication. The equivalent for encryption that actually conceals network topology is hard (just revealing all addresses gives away quite a lot).

(Following the path of a signalling message is probably easier in a reactive network, because of the direct reaction.)

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer

T:  +44 (0)1245 242194  |  E: chris.dearlove@baesystems.com<mailto:chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, Chelmsford Technology Park, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 8HN.
www.baesystems.com/ai<http://www.baesystems.com/ai>
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 01337451
Registered Office: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP