Re: [manet] ZRP simulation results

mehrana@uow.edu.au Sun, 13 March 2005 07:17 UTC

From: mehrana@uow.edu.au
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:13:06 +1100
Subject: Re: [manet] ZRP simulation results
To: Prince Samar <samar@ece.cornell.edu>
Cc: glomosim-users-l@lists.ucla.edu, manet@ietf.org
Sender: manet-bounces@ietf.org

Dear Price Samar,

The code i used is based on the second internet draft for ZRP.
I patched this code in glomosim and observed the throughput and
control overheads for 50 and 100 nodes with 10 and 20 CBR
sources transmitting at 4 packet per second. The mobility
level was varied between 0 and 20 m/s, with 0 pause time.
Under both scenarios, AODV produced over 90% throughput.
However, ZRP produced less than 70%. I also tried with lower
levels of mobility, however, the results were not
significantly better for ZRP. I also varied the update
intervals for the Inrazone updates, and tried different values
for zone radius (e.g. Zone radius values of 1, 2 and 3.

One observation i made was that the IARP component produces
a lot of overhead, due to frequent link failure detection and
changes in the Inrazone, and packets where being dropped due
to buffer overflows. So i suppose that the Proactive component
of IARP should be improved. I am not sure if improvements to
this where made in the version 3 and 4 of ZRP??

I understand that ZRP is viewed as a framework, and
improvements can be made in both the proactive and reactive
components. However, for majority of Hybrid routing protocols
proposed to date, ZRP is also seen as a performance comparison
bench mark, and hence, it is often treated as a routing
protocol than a framework.

Kind regards,
Mehran