Re: [manet] DLEP-17: duplicate functions - Options & extensions negotiations

"Wiggins, David - 0665 - MITLL" <David.Wiggins@ll.mit.edu> Thu, 10 December 2015 14:39 UTC

From: "Wiggins, David - 0665 - MITLL" <David.Wiggins@ll.mit.edu>
To: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <chris.dearlove@baesystems.com>, Henning Rogge <hrogge@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 14:37:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.25.59.174]
Cc: MANET IETF <manet@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-manet-dlep@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-manet-dlep@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] DLEP-17: duplicate functions - Options & extensions negotiations

Extensions can add status codes too.

I can see a use for an extension that does not add any signals/messages,
data items, or status codes; it just adds behavior.  In particular, it
allows new combinations of the protocol elements that were previously
disallowed.  For example, an extension could allow an existing data item
on an existing signal.  dlep-17 appears to allow this, section 6 paragraph
1:

    Such extensions are defined as *additional rules of behaviour,*
    messages, data items and/or status codes that are not defined in this
    document.

I've been thinking about this because of the discussion about which data
items (if any) should be allowed to appear on a Destination Up coming from
the router.  Let's say the result of that discussion is that we clamp down
hard and don't allow any data items other than the MAC address, and that
MAC address MUST represent a multicast address.  However, someone :) would
like the router to be able to advertise IP addresses and subnets that it
provides access to so that the modem can propagate this to the other side
(using a non-DLEP protocol).  So, we could add an extension that relaxes
Destination Up and Update to allow 1) unicast MAC addresses coming from
the router (the router would put its own MAC address), and 2) IP address
and IP subnet data items.  The extension would of course define what this
new combination means.  It adds no new messages or data items, but it's a
useful extension (to us).

You could certainly do this with a new message too, but a small tweak to
the allowed data items seems cleaner and easier to deal with to me.

David