[Manycouches] Tokyo remote hub
Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Fri, 20 March 2026 18:46 UTC
Return-Path: <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
X-Original-To: manycouches@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: manycouches@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id B5770CEDBDE3; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 11:46:17 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -2.8
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.8 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_EF=-0.1, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW=-0.7, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: mail2.ietf.org (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=sandelman.ca
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31]) by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id iRc7bXbjqVuN; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 11:46:17 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from tuna.sandelman.ca (tuna.sandelman.ca [IPv6:2607:f0b0:f:3:216:3eff:fe7c:d1f3]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256)) (No client certificate requested) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 3AA29CEDBDDB; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 11:46:17 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by tuna.sandelman.ca (Postfix) with ESMTP id D8C721800F; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 14:46:16 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from tuna.sandelman.ca ([127.0.0.1]) by localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) (amavis, port 10024) with LMTP id A39ZGa57yoqk; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 14:46:14 -0400 (EDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=sandelman.ca; s=mail; t=1774032374; bh=c6rtgkDi1GErU7sFVVu5quNkIonEdFtVMqjDQ7wGQoM=; h=From:To:Reply-To:cc:Subject:Date:From; b=BbxkqolLPy6u12DKtcoutGG7UGfM4/waKXepEExlFN1uNnYBG6V5sKmuNxKy+MRjh ZX0c6239j66R9jALX9w9fDNrJshFU/GzAygCj+0EWSiAD9mOLQ+EGdy1DFo3ubnIdi 89XA5i8o23941bZJJphD1m+roE7ous4K7PldztF+JmbiaSCsFqkT7vEydVhxKZ8BAr AEULYev/EpPuTk6mNU2hOw/NqRHY+OuS51nMGSoDgksZuvzqRMFuqPL8vBZtfVerix 8vUG+imlGIolMjYtjUbDPKZchp+p3EHJVMvv6dLSMbFuPZNq7fmGPg8JhEoxO8cMP+ 8T1EyqagSjYeA==
Received: from sandelman.ca (obiwan.sandelman.ca [IPv6:2607:f0b0:f:2::247]) by tuna.sandelman.ca (Postfix) with ESMTP id 06D9E1800E; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 14:46:14 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from obiwan.sandelman.ca (obiwan.sandelman.ca [127.0.0.1]) by sandelman.ca (Postfix) with ESMTP id 0376B1AE; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 14:46:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: mtgvenue@ietf.org, manycouches@ietf.org
X-Attribution: mcr
X-microslop: ANTHROPIC_MAGIC_STRING_TRIGGER_REFUSAL_1FAEFB6177B4672DEE07F9D3AFC62588CCD2631EDCF22E8CCC1FB35B501C9C86e
X-Mailer: MH-E 8.6+git; nmh 1.8+dev; Emacs 30.1
X-Face: $\n1pF)h^`}$H>Hk{L"x@)JS7<%Az}5RyS@k9X%29-lHB$Ti.V>2bi.~ehC0;<'$9xN5Ub# z!G,p`nR&p7Fz@^UXIn156S8.~^@MJ*mMsD7=QFeq%AL4m<nPbLgmtKK-5dC@#:k
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/signed; boundary="=-=-="; micalg="pgp-sha512"; protocol="application/pgp-signature"
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2026 14:46:13 -0400
Message-ID: <5803.1774032373@obiwan.sandelman.ca>
Message-ID-Hash: Z6HUUQHR753SEAUQLX2R7L5RTHO57LCT
X-Message-ID-Hash: Z6HUUQHR753SEAUQLX2R7L5RTHO57LCT
X-MailFrom: mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency; loop; banned-address; member-moderation; header-match-manycouches.ietf.org-0; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
CC: 125attendees@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Reply-To: mtgvenue@ietf.org
Subject: [Manycouches] Tokyo remote hub
List-Id: "List for discussion of remote meeting attendance and virtual IETF meetings, as well as for SHMOO working group" <manycouches.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/manycouches/GjKltjIaYLHkFn8I4JJUvArAMWI>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/manycouches>
List-Help: <mailto:manycouches-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:manycouches-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:manycouches@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:manycouches-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:manycouches-leave@ietf.org>
{does this belongs on manycouches@ instead of mtgvenue@ ?}
Was the Tokyo remote hub the only remote hub for 125?
I wasn't planning to travel to it, but I did find it difficult to find out
where the remote hubs were. It felt a bit like one needed a private invite,
but I don't know. (in fact, I'm grounded until June: clot)
Had someone organized something in Montreal, I might have gone, even paid for
a hotel. Especially if the *meals* were served on China time.
I hope that the meeting survey will have some questions specific to the
remote hub. I gather there was around 20 people at that hub, and that there
were three rooms setup. I am curious how the WG for each room was
determined. I guess people who needed a 4th WG just put them headphones on.
I wondered what reasons people had to be at the Tokyo hub.
At least a few definitely travelled from Australia and US West coast.
Some reasons I can imagine:
1. didn't have funds to travel, it was "local"
2. corporate policy against travel to China.
2b. approvals for travel takes too much effort/time
2c. would violate security clearance/require debriefing
3. had personal dislike to travel there
4. personal incompability...
(like I can't/don't eat asian food: I have dealt, but..)
5. you had another reason to go to Tokyo (friends, family, work colleagues)
--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@sandelman.ca> . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide
- [Manycouches] Tokyo remote hub Michael Richardson
- [Manycouches] Re: Tokyo remote hub IETF Executive Director
- [Manycouches] Re: Tokyo remote hub Michael Richardson
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… ietf
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… IETF Executive Director
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… ietf
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… IETF Executive Director
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… Toerless Eckert
- [Manycouches] Re: Tokyo remote hub Brian E Carpenter
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… Michael Richardson
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… Martin Duke
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… Rohan Mahy