[Manycouches] Re: Tokyo remote hub
IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org> Fri, 20 March 2026 23:18 UTC
Return-Path: <jay@staff.ietf.org>
X-Original-To: manycouches@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: manycouches@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6BB7FCEF2EA8 for <manycouches@mail2.ietf.org>; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 16:18:30 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.9
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.9 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=unavailable autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: mail2.ietf.org (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=staff-ietf-org.20230601.gappssmtp.com
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31]) by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id MfBvKspABO-n for <manycouches@mail2.ietf.org>; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 16:18:30 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail-ej1-x62a.google.com (mail-ej1-x62a.google.com [IPv6:2a00:1450:4864:20::62a]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 307D7CEF2EA2 for <manycouches@ietf.org>; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 16:18:30 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by mail-ej1-x62a.google.com with SMTP id a640c23a62f3a-b79f8f7ea43so383911766b.2 for <manycouches@ietf.org>; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 16:18:30 -0700 (PDT)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1774048708; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20240605; b=M9LwqXunCKoWYmY8qmFurYisLbQTmjqCRw4B1cSXorRkeyZlnHkQeAAyVkRf2W2V7H ix1hC3UXFvrTbjhdyBA2vYrrxEEJrj7JoIWy2BWbc4G2RxxpX5KGkNiatQvawfQQpqZf Zw0TNdNUnaMFhyCcgaZe5cMbBASv6xHE2MwpOOn7k6r3RDb9VLJlzy5KkJXXVxTEek04 AUiR9237YIl9qlIRxf5Vps5HQAa23OhCXhvXnsqRBcCpPTg35x0B3pOG+fWrHRy1QM8N EsNfLw+e/90IN6iFpk6xm3ehw/6RwOQtTCzBK9E4XeMBhDAV19Jf6mR4LKb7o3jspG1P bQtA==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20240605; h=content-transfer-encoding:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from :in-reply-to:references:mime-version:dkim-signature; bh=0BY2F5j39NxVy+gLoAJCMdNkgllG9la5NXturMM2MkI=; fh=4LiBSjNFc718vI0GHn6NLMUKnrBBO6ao7SnNewzKD4Q=; b=Y1yp4+50s97LzLVornMNf4jhcQtmoAIc8ANDwyMrnliyU+F0ho3exeNLKqd4B2TclF uQNlX7I1kRCRP1oiBWiEBiDFMaNaSvt4tV2qTiKfvLrwNbywaZNxeVpOgoUVnaeoz3r5 +XmJu8QX0LapZKKvceByS3Flxm5WeF2iDAeKrbiT/vJDH+JWb0LPK5Ku0ByGr6mz/RiL IzMmlCIYZgOjVBKWpOfPB6Glm87x+ACMuXaO4yaeLDUGPtCDEYm2kQxDF4HfgE2EK6hk DicZENBGZU+KG4fAoK/W9t5EzNAFd8X1VJnW4Womk0U8bMQEMDaRsSJ8Kbpkua77Hwca O7aQ==; darn=ietf.org
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=staff-ietf-org.20230601.gappssmtp.com; s=20230601; t=1774048708; x=1774653508; darn=ietf.org; h=content-transfer-encoding:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from :in-reply-to:references:mime-version:from:to:cc:subject:date :message-id:reply-to; bh=0BY2F5j39NxVy+gLoAJCMdNkgllG9la5NXturMM2MkI=; b=dk/v/MYAfk6yeEiw5wD47dkCPb3emBcBAJ6V5PyZh9AL7gmqLtyc2KJLuMf6Y7Fe8G ZWm93XaAuNAac/e0i0Q+OW0J9LXjRzO+ETwng0Un6BnfuAyCMJnu6ntPPhNAqL6C2n+a Ro5WmIcEMxt1eBjNa27HDzNq33iN3/N77H4G39/pPl1gVGshfgpM8TcU9x8LuHdUT/rA LPW4HkcupI6LEMNXcqZ2mbQOUuJyzdl0I526zWAPGIgFly2yAVD5B80AYzT/fBnjks4X VZ7ic1AzXA3u3RGaMCj3eXN7o9dMByzjhYzYAXgG2d4rEsfQ8GtaVOaVAfxQ8mCR4M5J gXuA==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=1e100.net; s=20251104; t=1774048708; x=1774653508; h=content-transfer-encoding:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from :in-reply-to:references:mime-version:x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from :to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to; bh=0BY2F5j39NxVy+gLoAJCMdNkgllG9la5NXturMM2MkI=; b=AD7qWbF27JaD5TBQuMUKPcRld3P7geShsoI2AN+0FJOHHWxjDgSCm1qWmilL6+XUV3 Z4KZUjEaiX2xnsOTxzDh6xTkvO/1utxiqYiBLoBWfWhpEMa7ZMwYZ/1+McZbBXFb+keC zP85gPC22Rno3N5PErVxcCuXY1W3YAXNRodpjMRT/2zUZXqX9w/lwD0qyfpSSPxTMDJF qNEh8RD8sRwHRKTsXX5/46KF/V27lD1+Vjko1CjJCyjqvUa70ynjCGOfdy7BjMdtTfKC CxoJ9x+Kh0yCkgp/QDBjOZ+pVGhAlZIIIspx/d4PuTNU3B/SASOWIlnyGCo0pRsiZ89e YrBw==
X-Gm-Message-State: AOJu0YwK8+SbUsmi7SR+35nc0RL1KjQLVVlEE5t8E3vO+htXw4uN5WYD N/gcN/hE12gB2M69XyFeOWU+b92iddr5QuFDLCj5E2xTKkH9WB8lvdjvmDvZ3plZYcp4uaeDDEu Uni9kEuCi/xSeLsIDCqtjaXTIhbSZXFWXeIshj2b3OlF+Qk/HWLoubcZI7YsdleM=
X-Gm-Gg: ATEYQzzMPzQ4lMqTxfKA4E4GG0y09X8YnAseZBx5fBm8wFskS7ywMj3NZTsN24wF5Qa fih85zgLiGvpVZrhJ7NWEIng6R4l1+1+5VbfFvAAGa+1fL0ivnHV0hqWom0xOEcpJwt4K8XGOqq pYVUSlew49h/kK3LseaGO32XvfeSphOC9bciY7t82M1jv9lMdlecJOMYDkrBziz3oFewgtNQnwE YrOFapKuMY2VrPYsmi28GB3X+WzbuwqibhO3mamrV7Cl+mEzTcZ4e5PCfSbhhbUGjA1vtYT8JdO JxlwPQ+itkViUmbMEixYHTa9MvS3GwaYO9f8ujM5v8IHMbiI/oetiZ+WW4pPCi9G+Q==
X-Received: by 2002:a17:906:782:b0:b95:2b77:75b6 with SMTP id a640c23a62f3a-b982f26ed28mr271698666b.19.1774048708297; Fri, 20 Mar 2026 16:18:28 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <5803.1774032373@obiwan.sandelman.ca>
In-Reply-To: <5803.1774032373@obiwan.sandelman.ca>
From: IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2026 07:18:16 +0800
X-Gm-Features: AaiRm52Emp0MDCBXgPH9OHEWBq4x6DpjdXnD8UEBMAS03YCwzorwHafTTOzZ09U
Message-ID: <CAKpya=0EXHj3TbSvd5L66C84=hBRHF9rMM666Fif6dQsPND-NQ@mail.gmail.com>
To: shmoo <manycouches@ietf.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Message-ID-Hash: L34EJDTR6NF5YKP5VKC2JDYSJURR23O7
X-Message-ID-Hash: L34EJDTR6NF5YKP5VKC2JDYSJURR23O7
X-MailFrom: jay@staff.ietf.org
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency; loop; banned-address; member-moderation; header-match-manycouches.ietf.org-0; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
CC: mtgvenue@ietf.org, "125attendees@ietf.org" <125attendees@ietf.org>
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Subject: [Manycouches] Re: Tokyo remote hub
List-Id: "List for discussion of remote meeting attendance and virtual IETF meetings, as well as for SHMOO working group" <manycouches.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/manycouches/SMhYuMbARc8mpAB4nkIPwHNwbEg>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/manycouches>
List-Help: <mailto:manycouches-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:manycouches-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:manycouches@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:manycouches-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:manycouches-leave@ietf.org>
Hi MIchael
On Sat, Mar 21, 2026 at 2:46 AM Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> wrote:
>
>
> {does this belongs on manycouches@ instead of mtgvenue@ ?}
Let's use manycouches for now. I've bcc'd the other lists.
> Was the Tokyo remote hub the only remote hub for 125?
Yes.
> I wasn't planning to travel to it, but I did find it difficult to find out
> where the remote hubs were. It felt a bit like one needed a private invite,
> but I don't know. (in fact, I'm grounded until June: clot)
You would need a private invite. This remote room was organised
entirely by the IETF participants on their own premises, not by the
IETF and so it cannot be an open invite, the organiser must decide who
they can accept at their own site.
>
> Had someone organized something in Montreal, I might have gone, even paid for
> a hotel. Especially if the *meals* were served on China time.
>
> I hope that the meeting survey will have some questions specific to the
> remote hub. I gather there was around 20 people at that hub, and that there
> were three rooms setup. I am curious how the WG for each room was
> determined. I guess people who needed a 4th WG just put them headphones on.
It is intentionally not covered in the meeting survey. The plan is
for the organisers to write up their experiences, potentially
surveying the participants there, and that to be incorporated into a
wider report.
> I wondered what reasons people had to be at the Tokyo hub.
> At least a few definitely travelled from Australia and US West coast.
>
> Some reasons I can imagine:
> 1. didn't have funds to travel, it was "local"
> 2. corporate policy against travel to China.
> 2b. approvals for travel takes too much effort/time
> 2c. would violate security clearance/require debriefing
> 3. had personal dislike to travel there
> 4. personal incompability...
> (like I can't/don't eat asian food: I have dealt, but..)
> 5. you had another reason to go to Tokyo (friends, family, work colleagues)
With such a small number of participants at that site, qualitative
data is much more useful than quantitative like this, with the
possible exception of the binary question "would you have gone to the
IETF 125 venue if this remote room were not available". I will ask
the organisers if they can ask that.
Cheers
Jay
--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director
- [Manycouches] Tokyo remote hub Michael Richardson
- [Manycouches] Re: Tokyo remote hub IETF Executive Director
- [Manycouches] Re: Tokyo remote hub Michael Richardson
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… ietf
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… IETF Executive Director
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… ietf
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… IETF Executive Director
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… Toerless Eckert
- [Manycouches] Re: Tokyo remote hub Brian E Carpenter
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… Michael Richardson
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… Martin Duke
- [Manycouches] Re: [125attendees] Re: Tokyo remote… Rohan Mahy