Re: [martini] draft-kaplan-martini-vermouth-00: reg-event handling for draft-gin and draft-olive

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 05 May 2010 09:15 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>, Hans Erik van Elburg <ietf.hanserik@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 11:14:23 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "martini@ietf.org" <martini@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [martini] draft-kaplan-martini-vermouth-00: reg-event handling for draft-gin and draft-olive

Hadriel,

I am concerned that it is somewhat counter-intuitive from a subscriber point of view to have to put in a special parameter to get to the PBX. I am not sure how the reg-event package is used in practice, but suppose some presence-like application is using reg-event to see whether any device is currently registered for a user. It is not aware that +12345 is behind a PBX, so it subscribes to reg-event at +12345, without any special parameter, gets back the contact sip:+12345@192.168.0.8, and concludes yes, there is a device present. Yet behind the PBX, there may be no device registered against +12345.

John